Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #1 
SlabSided

I think this is Lymphocystis

I noticed this white bulbous thing on Tuna Bob's pelvic fin during one of his daily flashlight inspections and I've searched this site and googled others and I think this is Lymphocystis. What does everyone else think?

He is acting normal in every other respect and from what I've read, the plan of attack is super clean water, low stress levels, good nutrition, and just wait it out.

Do I need to move him to a QT tank? He's alone in a 5 gallon cycled tank. He's a pretty active, well adjusted guy and doesn't seem to be easily stressed but I'm afraid moving him to a smaller unfamiliar tank might stress him. Not to mention cupping him for water changes....I haven't caught or cupped him since I got him.

If I leave him in his tank, do I need to strip it down and thoroughly scrub everything or just bump up the water changes? Like I said, the tank is cycled and I don't want to screw that up if I can avoid it. I've been doing a 50-70% change once a week (or 6 days or so, but never longer than a week). Should I be doing two 50% changes a week or do I need to throw in a 100% change as well?

Should I add AQ salt just for good measure? It's like chicken soup for fish, right?

Thanks for any advice.
SlabSided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

... The tank cannot be cycled if you are doing that large of water changes per week. I do 25% for 5 and up tanks.

I wouldn't worry about moving him, just keep the food varied, water clean, conditioner in, and salt OUT!

Aquarium salt can be dangerous. It's like medical drugs are to us... good to a point, but after either loses its affect or can harm us.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #3 
SlabSided

Yes, actually, it is cycled. But, thanks?

Not sure I agree with the salt thing....I'd like to get others opinions as well as whether or not this does indeed look like lymphocystis and whether my water change schedule during recovery is on course.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well, that was my two cents.

good luck.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Its hard to tell by the pic if that is Lymphocystis or not....does it look somewhat like a cluster or like cauliflower...anyway....even if it is.... Not a lot can be done since its a virus, however, it is usually not fatal unless it impedes on daily living-like on the mouth, gills etc....or hinder swimming.....since its on the edge of a fin it shouldn't cause any problems and since he is housed alone I would leave him in the 5gal and keep up with the water changes, good nutrition like you are already doing-monitoring the area in question for changes...

In a 5gal filtered tank, without live plants housing a single Betta-50+% weekly with vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything to maintain water quality.
Filter media need a swish/rinse in the bucket of old tank water a couple of times a month to maintain good water flow.

If it mass falls off-I would do a deep vacuum and add a couple of extra water only changes for a week or so-watch for secondary infection at the site and treat if needed.

Since the nitrifying bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle are sticky and adhere to all the surface areas in the tank, on the walls, decorations, plants, in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media...Very little are in the water column itself and making water only water changes will not hurt the nitrogen cycle....
You can take all the water out as often as you want (not recommended) and not hurt the cycle, however, if you do that and scrub the wall, change the filter media, vacuum too frequently that can hurt the cycle or if you drain the tank and allow the bacteria to dehydrate...expect ammonia spike or even a full on crash.....but water only changes are fine......

Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) with this species of fish-
It not recommended to use of aquarium salt long term-it can cause long term issue-namely kidney damage and resistant issue...

It is a great product to use for treatment when used for the right reason, dosage and duration.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #6 
SlabSided

Doesn't look like a cauliflower - more like a smooth, white, teardrop. Hasn't changed in size or appearance so far.

I understand what you are saying about the AQ salt - kind of like antibiotics, use unnecessarily and they won't work when you need them. Sounds like they don't really offer a benefit in this instance so I'll skip that.

Glad I don't have to take him out of his tank - he's very opinionated and really likes patrolling his tank and I just don't think he'd appreciate being moved. I'll just add a mid-week small water change - he'll probably like that since he thinks the water being poured into the tank is some sort of amusement ride.

Thanks!