Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #101 
Pogthefish

Oh, ok then thats probably not it, and if there is no filter, then theres no nitrate, but ok
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #102 
xfeejayx

I'm hesitant to type this, but he's doing much better. He can't get enough food right now. This morning, and again right now, I had to stop feeding him so he doesn't eat too much. He's also swimming around a little bit.

It's difficult for him to swim because all his fins are melted and clamped, but his pectorals are moving a lot, and he's friendly again.

I just cleaned his bowl again, put epsom salt, and another treatment of parasite guard in.

Any thoughts on what to do about melt?

Still hoping...
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #103 
ANHEL123

I think for now that all you can do. You can't put more medications. And Epsom salt also antibacterial/ fungal so should help.

Afraid to ask more questions lol
How about his poo?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #104 
xfeejayx

Third feeding straight, he's eating plenty. Hes swimming around and exploring and everything !!

I'm going to not do anything today, just to give him a break. Will do a clean water change tomorrow, give him a few days to relax, then start AQ salt to help the fins.

I don't think fungal medicine is needed, as I don't see any.

Don't see poo today, but yesterday and the day before he had normal poop (with Epsom salt).

After I move next week, this fish is getting his own big tank with plants and everything!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #105 
pocomoto

I'm glad your fish is doing better! I am concerned about the water changes, though. How often are you doing them? Everyone here seems to say "do 100% water changes daily and add AQ salt" but the directions on my aquarium salt bag says to do a change after 7 days... and changing water frequently can put fish into "New Tank Syndrome", where they become stressed out and inactive due to different water temperature, nitrate/nitrite/ammonia/etc levels, etc. If your fish has trouble eating again, try flakes. My fish sometimes spits them out, but not because he's not hungry, but because it's too much for him to swallow. I use plain Tropical Fish flakes.
pocomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #106 
ANHEL123

I think it too fast. If the medications that you are using right now helped than i hope it was right diagnose. Internal parasites is very difficult to get rid of. I wouldn't recommend jump to aq salt from es. You stressing him out from jumping from one to another one. Epsom salt is also antibacterial/fungal anyway.

Also i would really follow instructions on the box and use it again just make sure you really get rid of them. How many times you use it?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #107 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomoto View Post
I'm glad your fish is doing better! I am concerned about the water changes, though. How often are you doing them? Everyone here seems to say "do 100% water changes daily and add AQ salt" but the directions on my aquarium salt bag says to do a change after 7 days... and changing water frequently can put fish into "New Tank Syndrome", where they become stressed out and inactive due to different water temperature, nitrate/nitrite/ammonia/etc levels, etc. If your fish has trouble eating again, try flakes. My fish sometimes spits them out, but not because he's not hungry, but because it's too much for him to swallow. I use plain Tropical Fish flakes.
Don't follow instructions on the box. It is just preventative. If you need recommendations on Aquarium salt treatment i can write them for you:)
And it not recommended to add aq salt on regular basis.
Let me know if you need more information on that :)
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #108 
ANHEL123

Did you use second dose at all. I think it after 48 hrs?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #109 
xfeejayx

not just second, I have now done a 3rd dose, all about 48 hours apart from each other. I've put in epsom salt with all three doses.

He didn't eat anything last night, but ate a whole lot this morning. Again, I had to stop feeding him so he doesn't eat too much. He can't eat the pellets any more (too weak to swallow them maybe?), but he heats all the flakes he can get.

I did NOT see poo in the bowl despite having epsom salt in it. He hasn't pooped in about the last 36 hours.

I've stopped doing daily changes, as I do think ti was stressing him out. As mentioned, I will do a full water change tonight with nothing but conditioner, and let him relax for a few days. After a few days I will start AQ salt to help rebuild the fins.

His pectoral fins are getting wider again (they had become clamped and tight), and he is becoming more active and swimming around.

Thanks @BETTACHKALOVE AND @ANHEL123 and everyone else for all your help! keep the suggestions coming, he's not healthy yet.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #110 
ANHEL123

Obviously you are doing something right if he got a little bit better.
Is he bloated?
If he didn't poop for 36 hrs and if he is bloated, I would recommend to continue Epsom salt. Don't worry it not stressing him out. If aquarium salt you can use only no more than 10 days, EPSOM salt you can use longer than 2 month. So if it helped i would still use Epsom salt . Clean water and Epsom salt. I will still continue to do daily water changes though.

Edit i am going to pm someone to look on your post :)

Last edited by ANHEL123; 05-31-2012 at 12:32 PM.