Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #111 
Sena Hansler

Daily water changes is a must, if anything do 90% water changes, keeping the fish in 2 or 3 inches of water instead of removing him.

Continue epsom like ANHEL mentioned, but with this you need daily water changes (as mentioned above)
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #112 
xfeejayx

He's getting better and better! This fish will just eat and eat and eat now. As mentioned, he didn't poop for like 40 hours. I refreshed with conditioner and Epsom salt and 100% water yesterday. He took a big dump overnight (see pic). Baloo still looks terrible, but his personality is back!

Doing 100% every other day, and it's working fine. No more parasite guard.

This poop look normal? String of two big chunks on top left, and bunch of small pieces on bottom right.

xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #113 
ANHEL123

I think poop is normal and continue with Epsom salt. And don't overfeed because he can get bloated from the food. And it bad.
How much you feed him?

Also i want Sena to look at his picture with poop and tell her opinion.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #114 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I think poop is normal and continue with Epsom salt. And don't overfeed because he can get bloated from the food. And it bad.
How much you feed him?

Also i want Sena to look at his picture with poop and tell her opinion.
Haha, I fed him a LOT. It's those little crisps, and it's so hard to tell how much I'm really feeding him. It was almost certainly too much food. I just kept putting small bits in for like 4 minutes, I was so excited that he was eating so well! And I want him to have plenty of food to get stronger. Don't worry, I'll skip meals if I see him getting bloated, and the Epsom salt will help keep him clean anyway.

Yea Epsom salt is still in there. Is there such a thing as chronic constipation? I don't want to have him on ES forever.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #115 
ANHEL123

I was talking to someone on this forum who's betta get bloated all the time. She feeds him less now and he is not bloated anymore as far as i know ...last time spoke about 3 wk ago.

You can't keep him on Epsom salt all the time. You can use it for long time. Like more than 3 -6 weeks , i think not certain though. But not forever. So try don't overfeed. I can imagine how exciting to see you fish eating and doing better. You really did good job. I hope he really recovered and will keep doing well.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #116 
Pogthefish

I feed Pog like one crisp not even every day nd he is a BIG boy. Bigger than any other betta I have. U you feed tetra min tropical crisps rite? LOVE em
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #117 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
I feed Pog like one crisp not even every day nd he is a BIG boy. Bigger than any other betta I have. U you feed tetra min tropical crisps rite? LOVE em
You need to feed bettas everyday :).

One time we had discussion on the forum about how much to feed betta. I personally don't feed a lot . I feed 2 pellets in the morning and 2 at night. Some times when we have cooked shrimp for the dinner i feed them that. Of course i don't feed pellets if i feed cooked shrimp. A few times a week i give them freeze dried blood worms. Also i am using 3 different kind of the pellets.

So you have to feed them every day.

And when we discussed how much to feed i found out that some people feed more than i do.

But really you have to feed everyday and you should fast them one day a week :)
Everyone write on the forum one fasting day,which is very difficult for me lol As soon as i go to the table they get all exited.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #118 
Pogthefish

Many people over-feed them, but they are cold-blooded, so a pellet a day is plenty for them, and trust me, Pog is plenty fat :P he even has a bubble nest
Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #119 
ANHEL123

You are funny. It ok as long as you changing his water on time and he is happy i am not going to argue lol
I still think it not enough though lol
But you remind me of the doctor i am working with. And i love that doctor he is the best. But i always argue with him about how much to feed.
He actually fed them with one pellet a day now i recently change his opinion and he feeds them 2 pellets.

It funny i come to the office and help him with work 2 times a week and guess what they have a feast lol

Ok one think some pellets are bigger than other though. The doctors feed them with bigger pellets. I have smaller so if it small one sorry i still argue lol still not enough.

Well i would say all people on this forum will tell you it not enough. Just not enough nutrition's. How about you ? Do you like to eat lol

I don't know i am tired. I can't argue lol

You know what i think. When you take advice from anyone. For example if you need advice on water changes or how much to feed I would always ask the people you take advice from how old is their betta. If bettas are old then they do something right.

So i don't know how old is your betta. If you betta live ling or will live long then you do something right.

My bettas live pretty long. A few of the almost well not yet 5 years. So i always think i do something right. And BTW i do 100% water changes .

Also the fact is that no matter how right or different you taking care some betta will live longer then other. You can do the same care and still life expectation is different.

I just looked at my youngest betta which is not sick , very active but he looks like he is 4 year old and my oldest fish looks like i just bought them.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #120 
Pogthefish

Pog, I got him old, but I have had him a year

and lol i wanna be a doctor :D

but yeah.. alot of people over-feed

Last edited by Pogthefish; 06-01-2012 at 09:47 PM.