Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #21 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyA View Post
Oh no. Good luck!
Sigh... thanks. Feeling pretty helpless right now.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #22 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfeejayx View Post
Sigh... thanks. Feeling pretty helpless right now.
Don't give up. Now that you know the problem you can apply the solution. He sounds like a tough boy, given love and care he'll pull through.
CaseyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #23 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyA View Post
Don't give up. Now that you know the problem you can apply the solution. He sounds like a tough boy, given love and care he'll pull through.
No, definitely not giving up. Just running out of options I guess. I think he'll be okay, just my first experience with a sick anything is all.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #24 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfeejayx View Post
No, definitely not giving up. Just running out of options I guess. I think he'll be okay, just my first experience with a sick anything is all.
It's scary isn't it? Not knowing what to do and wanting to do whatever it is to make it all better. The folks here are great, they'll get both of you through it.

Did you find a heater that will work for the bowl? I'm having a senior moment, don't remember!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #25 
BETTACHKALOVE

How you going to increase the temperature? Did you get the heater?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #26 
BETTACHKALOVE

I just was searching for more pictures and video on you tube of betta with velvet. I think you are right. If you can increase temperature it would be great.
One thing i forget you need thermometer to monitor the temperature. I love the one that you can put on outside of the tank. It like a stripe that you can stick outside of the tank. It about $3-4. It better for your tank because you don't have to disinfect it and it very sensitive to the temperature change. It will show every degree very fast
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #27 
CaseyA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
I just was searching for more pictures and video on you tube of betta with velvet. I think you are right. If you can increase temperature it would be great.
One thing i forget you need thermometer to monitor the temperature. I love the one that you can put on outside of the tank. It like a stripe that you can stick outside of the tank. It about $3-4. It better for your tank because you don't have to disinfect it and it very sensitive to the temperature change. It will show every degree very fast
In a pinch I've used an old meat thermometer to check water temperature. Not a long-term solution but it gets the job done.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #28 
xfeejayx

You guys and gals might get a chuckle out of this. I bought two heaters, but can't talk myself into putting the preset one in. The one I can set myself is as big as the bowl, so had to fill it all the way. I even watched it and confirmed it turns off, lol. Had to cover it to keep him in. I left room for air, and weighed the cover down so he doesn't jump out.

Don't care if it looks goofy, it even made me laugh. But if ithelps him, then its good enough. Will revisit in the morning.

Btw, he hasn't eaten since last night

Old 05-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #29 
BETTACHKALOVE

It good that you saw it turns off. Kind of scares me. I though that heater should be completely submerge in the water. There is the line to show minimum water level. But you know if you confirmed that it turn ed off i hope it good.
Definitely keep the cover on. Bettas are good jumpers. I had a few jumped out of the tank before. Just make sure air coming in. Not sure what kind of cover do you have. Make holes for the air.
What temperature did you set the heater on?

It typical for betta don't eat with velvet. Hopefully we can get rid of them. Betta can live long time without food.

Are you sure his tank is one gallon? Look like it smaller.

You really doing wonderful job.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #30 
bahamut285

Am I the only one who doesn't see velvet? He just looks lethargic to me...

I'd be wary of that heater even though it claims to turn on and off the way it should. Covering it would seal in a lot of heat and it can get hot VERY quickly in no time at all. I made that mistake once...I put a heater rated for 5 gallons into a 1 gallon cube and it was fine for a few hours before I went to bed...next morning it was at 90F. Fortunately there was no fish in there :S

He's probably only brightening up because you changed the water after 2 weeks of neglect. Are you acclimating him properly? i.e. floating him in a cup to acclimate temperature then slowly transferring some water in to acclimate chemistry?

This is velvet:

Last edited by bahamut285; 05-22-2012 at 12:57 AM.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote