Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #31 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't see velvet? He just looks lethargic to me...

He does NOT look like that picture. I don't even know anymore. I've seen so many different pictures, and so many yes's and no's I'm totally confused.

The temperature is right on whenever I change water, so there is no temperature change. I was putting some old water in, but I've been told to do 100% changes, so no more old water.

I'm just sticking to the salt and heat treatment with daily changes. Should help him if he does have velvet, shouldn't hurt him if he doesn't have it. Do you recommend anything else for lethargy other than the above?

The heater is BARELY submerged past the minimum water level, but it is deep enough. That's why I need the cover because I have to have the water so high. Cover is just a plastic sheet open around the heater and thermometer, plenty of room for air.

Water was at 82 degrees this morning. Heater works like a charm.

Hes still very lethargic. And he's clamping his top fin now. Tried to eat a crisp after it just happened to float by his head when he came up for air, spit it back out. Didn't try to eat any of the other food. Is just hanging out at the bottom, swimming around a little, coming up for air, then back to the bottom.
xfeejayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:45 AM   #32 
TheCheese909

I don't really know what to add other then don't fret about him not eating right now. Bettas can go a long long time without food and be okay. I would wait a few days and then try and feed him a pre-soaked pellet or whatever you want to try and let him eat.

EDIT:// if you go to PetSmart they should sell smaller heaters for you to use. They recently started selling Aqueon MiniBow heaters for 1 gallon to 3 gallons.. They are tiny, maybe 5 inches long (at most) and would fit in there much better.

Last edited by TheCheese909; 05-22-2012 at 07:49 AM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #33 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
I don't really know what to add other then don't fret about him not eating right now. Bettas can go a long long time without food and be okay. I would wait a few days and then try and feed him a pre-soaked pellet or whatever you want to try and let him eat.

EDIT:// if you go to PetSmart they should sell smaller heaters for you to use. They recently started selling Aqueon MiniBow heaters for 1 gallon to 3 gallons.. They are tiny, maybe 5 inches long (at most) and would fit in there much better.
The small heaters don't have temperature control. It's cutting it close, but this one fits, so I'm fine with it. It's cycling on and off as it should.

I'm worried about him not eating only because he seems to be getting weaker. He can't really get stronger without eating, and he can't eat till he's stronger. Hell of a catch 22. He hasn't eaten at all since Sunday night, and hasn't eaten well since last Wednesday.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #34 
BETTACHKALOVE

bahamud I also didn't see velvet. I can't make decision on that. I looked at many pictures yesterday trying to understand. The only think confusing me that he has reddish and gold looking gills. And xfeejayx saying that it getting worse.

I think it good idea to continue with salt treatment . And keep him away from light try to put him in the darkest place since part of their reproduction(parisites)- they use photosynthesis.

Also about temperature 82* if you can maintain it fine don't do higher than that. If it difficult to maintain than 76-78 * would be fine.

I kind of paranoid about heater in that little bowl, unless you can buy bigger bowl (2.5gall). So sorry to say it, please don't get upset with me, but even if he dies you can disinfect the tank and use it for another betta. Sorry for saying it. It is really great that you are trying to save him. I hope it will work.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #35 
BETTACHKALOVE

Reddish and gold looking gills you can see on the picture (page 2). Still can be normal coloration unless it getting bigger.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #36 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
Reddish and gold looking gills you can see on the picture (page 2). Still can be normal coloration unless it getting bigger.
Went home to take a look at him during lunch (1+ hour driving to check on a fish...never would have thought). The water temperature is perfect, the heater is working great.

The reason I think it's velvet (and had begun treatment for it) was because his ventrals turned red, and had hints of gold. His pectorals fins have gold. Both the ventrals and pectorals are getting more gold now, and the anal fin is starting to show signs of gold. It does NOT look like the other picture of velvet posted.

He's clamped his dorsal fin pretty tight now. The tail/caudal fin is dropping instead of being open like he always used to keep it. He still won't eat.

Tank temperature is steady at 82F. Salt concentration is 2x what is recommended on the package. There is nothing in the tank other than thermometer, heater, and Baloo.

If he doesn't start getting better by tonight, I'm going to start him on Coppersafe again. If the salt alone isn't helping, there isn't much to be lost in trying medication anymore :/

Last edited by xfeejayx; 05-22-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #37 
BETTACHKALOVE

I agree about medications but you have to give salt time to work. It only 2 nd day of it right? I would continue salt. Give it a chance. Aquarium salt also has antibacterial/fungal effect. It difficult to make decision ....Give it another day. Aquarium salt has to be 10 days.

If it really velvet it should help.

You wrote:'' Salt concentration is 2x what is recommended on the package''
i don't know box instructions. You are using 2 teaspoons/gall?

When you do 100% water changes rinse thermometer and heater with hot water and wipe and rinse.

Even last picture he doesn't look like it velvet though. He has discoloration which can be another reason for it…. Last picture really doesn’t look any worse than previous.

Good luck. Give us update.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #38 
xfeejayx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETTACHKALOVE View Post
I agree about medications but you have to give salt time to work. It only 2 nd day of it right? I would continue salt. Give it a chance. Aquarium salt also has antibacterial/fungal effect. It difficult to make decision ....Give it another day. Aquarium salt has to be 10 days.

If it really velvet it should help.

You wrote:'' Salt concentration is 2x what is recommended on the package''
i don't know box instructions. You are using 2 teaspoons/gall?

When you do 100% water changes rinse thermometer and heater with hot water and wipe and rinse.

Even last picture he doesn't look like it velvet though. He has discoloration which can be another reason for it…. Last picture really doesn’t look any worse than previous.

Good luck. Give us update.
The box says 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. I put in 2 teaspoon last night. He looked worse this morning (very lethargic, not moving at all). When I went home for lunch I changed water and put 1 teaspoon.

Thermometer and heater are getting rinsed with 130F water and wiped with a clean towel at every change. So is the bowl.

It's hard to capture in pictures, but he's worse. He doesn't want to move at all anymore, and his fins are doing nothing. the pectorals are the only ones that move, and even those only move when I really agitate him.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #39 
BETTACHKALOVE

Very sorry. I don't know what to say. And i don't know if it because of salt or it because he just getting worse fast. Sometimes what they have can progress fast and they die fast. Sometimes they surprise us and can get better… It just i think coincident that you are using salt and he getting worse at the same time. Usually salt don’t give any reaction. Unfortunately I don’t think it salt. See how he doing tomorrow. Don’t get temperature higher than 82* though.

Good luck. Give us update. Really worry about this little guy :(

Old 05-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #40 
BETTACHKALOVE

Before i knew about aquarium salt i used to treat other people bettas with medications. I used Tetracycline mixed with fungus eliminator by Jungle. And it really helped a few fish. Fish symptoms are -lethargic, stopped eating no other symptoms. I was surprised a few times. I was treating a few fish that I thought will die but they recovered.

Fungus eliminator difficult to find in the stores. My local store somehow ordered it for me long time ago. Tetracycline every store carries it.

Also is good combination of the medication Maracyn and Maracyn 2. Have to be used combination of two though.

Of course those medications not for velvet.

I could mail them to you but I don’t think it enough time. But let me know I can try to do it
If he still alive in 2 days I think we will know if he is better or worse, or is salt or medications helping or not. And then you can use medications. If you want to try it I can mail them.

At least you can have them as emergency kit if you ever decide to have another betta.