Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #51 
tpocicat

There is a betta pals program. You can't pick the pair you want because it's completely voluntary on the breeder's part.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #52 
Ethan

Do you have a link?
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #53 
Twilight Storm

Some information on it is on their website. You will probably have to log in and read a lot of stuff there to get details on the program. You can also add the "proud member of the IBC" link thing at the bottom of your signature now that you joined :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #54 
tpocicat

I'm not good at adding links...sorry.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #55 
Basement Bettas

My blog.. basementbettas.wordpress.com has a lot of info on breeding and raising betta fish. It shows my barrack system and the new sump I built. Discusses food.. live and more. It also shows the problems I have encountered and some of the solutions. Might want to check it out and see what you may be getting into. One does not have to go as crazy as I did.. but there is useful info there for the hobby breeder as well as those serious about raising lots of bettas and to a standard. Bottom line is there is no "easy" way to do this. You read and pick a direction then just do it.. then change as things do and don't work.

If posting the link is a no no I apologize.. and it can be removed. Just as much good info there as Victorias site [bettysplendens.com]

My questions:

What is a good breeder pair of betta?
**Depends on what you want for the end result.. pretty fish or a BoS

Are there any species easier than others?
** in relatin to what? PK's are easier then HM or CT with their shorter fins.
What size of a tank do full size bettas require?

** again depends. My barracks have males in 4" w x 6" h x 9" deep cells. Females are in cells 6" deep. They are also in gallon container, beanies and soda bottles. Tail ends of the spawns go in a sorority till rehomed or sold.

What food is used when conditioning the adults?
** I feed new life spectrum "grow" to all my fish as the staple. Keeping them well fed is the best conditioning. A few small extra feedings will get them in good breeding shape. Watch the water conditions they don't get bad as you push food into them.

What tank setup & book cases do you use?
** heavy duty shelves from home depot. Each shelf holds 600 lbs.. or is supposed to. So far.. so good.

Where do I buy 5 gallon tanks?
** Walmart., but they are like $15/each. Watch yard sales and craig's list. But don't pay more than new.

How do I clean a divided 10 gallon with ease?
** you don't

And last ,but not least a simple & easy way to breed bettas?[/quote]
** when you figure it out let the rest of us know.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #56 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
Would a Melano X Black cross, be ok?
Or like you were saying just a big no no?
Blacks can be a heart ache. Many spawns will fail with infertility issues. I bred 3 years before taking on blacks. I'd pick something you can be more successful at and do that before taking on breeding blacks. They have made many experienced breeders throw their hands up and quit..
Old 05-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #57 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntailed View Post
That doesn't sound right... (But i am not a IBC member so maybie i am wrong) If it is true though i am signing up
Depends on the availability of fish from breeders .. but it is true. You pay for shipping and the fish are free. You must be an IBC member. I got 2 pair from Jack Schendowich when I joined .. and he was a good mentor when I started. Just depends on who has what.. as most often you do not get to have a color choice.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 AM   #58 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your link is fine as long as it's not linking to another forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #59 
Ethan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bettas View Post
My blog.. basementbettas.wordpress.com has a lot of info on breeding and raising betta fish. It shows my barrack system and the new sump I built. Discusses food.. live and more. It also shows the problems I have encountered and some of the solutions. Might want to check it out and see what you may be getting into. One does not have to go as crazy as I did.. but there is useful info there for the hobby breeder as well as those serious about raising lots of bettas and to a standard. Bottom line is there is no "easy" way to do this. You read and pick a direction then just do it.. then change as things do and don't work.

If posting the link is a no no I apologize.. and it can be removed. Just as much good info there as Victorias site [bettysplendens.com]

My questions:

What is a good breeder pair of betta?
**Depends on what you want for the end result.. pretty fish or a BoS

Are there any species easier than others?
** in relatin to what? PK's are easier then HM or CT with their shorter fins.
What size of a tank do full size bettas require?

** again depends. My barracks have males in 4" w x 6" h x 9" deep cells. Females are in cells 6" deep. They are also in gallon container, beanies and soda bottles. Tail ends of the spawns go in a sorority till rehomed or sold.

What food is used when conditioning the adults?
** I feed new life spectrum "grow" to all my fish as the staple. Keeping them well fed is the best conditioning. A few small extra feedings will get them in good breeding shape. Watch the water conditions they don't get bad as you push food into them.

What tank setup & book cases do you use?
** heavy duty shelves from home depot. Each shelf holds 600 lbs.. or is supposed to. So far.. so good.

Where do I buy 5 gallon tanks?
** Walmart., but they are like $15/each. Watch yard sales and craig's list. But don't pay more than new.

How do I clean a divided 10 gallon with ease?
** you don't

And last ,but not least a simple & easy way to breed bettas?
** when you figure it out let the rest of us know.[/quote]

I'm sorry I didn't see your post! And thankyou for the info!!!
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #60 
Thomasdog

Quote:
And last ,but not least a simple & easy way to breed bettas?
** when you figure it out let the rest of us know.
Gosh I love this!!!
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, breed