Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #1 
sjones

Suddenly losing all fish to SBD???

Is there a type of bacterial Swim Bladder Disease or something I do not know of?
Of my three betta all have come down with SBD symptoms and one has died, one has been on the bottom of his now shallow tank for a month and my oldest and most loved Clampy is now showing signs if SBD.

All are kept in separate tanks with 100% water changes to ensure no ammonia build up. All conditions are the same, water source is the same, same food, same water conditioner, same temperature. I can't figure out what is happening.
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #2 
Mo

Are you sure it's not something else besides SBD, there are many different variables of diseases that that contain very similar symptoms to SBD. Usually not combined with the bloating though, it can easily be poisoning too. From something contained within your tap water
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

What size is the tank? And are you overfeeding them? Did you feed him live food?
There are alot of reasons for Swim Bladder Disease. I'm so very sorry for Clampy.
Make sure, if they are bloated, fast them. And do not give them a pea. Unless, you have had experience with this and it actually worked.
If not bloated, make sure everything is in order, and that he is living stress-free
All of them just need to empty out their Digestive Tract, and feel better.
Good Luck with all of them!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #4 
sjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Are you sure it's not something else besides SBD, there are many different variables of diseases that that contain very similar symptoms to SBD. Usually not combined with the bloating though, it can easily be poisoning too. From something contained within your tap water
Like what kind of diseases? I am not sure it is SBD, but there are SBD like symptoms.

Two have been unable to swim well suddenly and have been laying on the bottom of their tank. One died within 3 days of said symptom. The other seems to be normal except for his inability to move. (Perky, interested in food, etc)

Clampy is on top of his tank but listing to one side.

I have had all these guys for a while..2-3 years.

I am currently treating with broad- spectrum antibiotic metrodiazonale as it is what I have on hand and I feel the coincidence is too strong that they all should get sick.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #5 
sjones

ps. been through the fasting and epsom salt routine with the first guy, he has been down for a month or so, showed no improvement

also no live foods, nothing new in their routine since October when I moved house.

Last edited by sjones; 05-11-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Swim bladder disease is really a blanket term, not a specific illness.
It can be genetic, bacterial, or viral (for betta at least...) Obviously genetic would not be the case here.
Bacterial infection, you have a chance of curing. Viral infections are, of course incurable, but symptoms can be managed.
I think you should keep treating with the drug. It sounds like something more serious may be attacking them. Lower the water level for them.
Note that your guys are already getting up there in age, so their systems are already naturally weakened.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #7 
sjones

Clampy is much better, I have him on epsom salt and the metrodiazonale, he passed regular poo and then a large white mass and now is swimming normal. ANy idea of what this was?

My other betta is getting the same treatment but still is laying mostly on the bottom of the tank. I think I may have caused his injury while cupping him. Seems like it is permanent, his once long white dt fins are ragged and reduced in size. I think he will probably live like this until he dies. Pretty sad, but he is still eager to eat and responsive to me. I have his water level very low. I think his fins are damaged because of how he has to lay on the tank bottom.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #8 
sjones

Here is the white betta's tank set up (low water level) He lays mostly on the bottom with an s curve in his spine, you can see how his fins are deteriorating. He used to be a full finned DT. He swims up to the surface to eat and to visit with me. If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve his quality of life let me know.
The last photo is a recovered Clampy!
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #9 
cutie11

im so sorry did you feed them something new maby it made them sick
cutie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

Due to Metronidazole effectiveness against anaerobic bacteria (by selectively blocking some of the cell functions of anaerobic bacteria) this drug along is a good choice for bloating of the digestive tract (common in goldfish). Metronidazole selectively blocks some of the cell functions in anaerobic bacteria, resulting in their demise. Metronidazole is also a good choice for many protozoan parasite infections.

maybe he had an internal parasite and thats what the white mass was?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote