Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #1 
chibir3dpanda

PetCo Baby Betta

I just got a Petco Baby Betta today. He is so cute. (Well... I at least think it's a he..) He's gorgeous! He's blue and green, and so adorable. He's not completely a baby I don't think. He's a bit bigger. By the looks of his tail I would say he's a crown tail :D

Okay, Okay, although I did buy a baby betta, I think it's so wrong for them to be selling baby bettas!! Gah!!!

Any opinions on gender?
For the time being I named him Kara-Himatsu which is Japanese for "Splash of Color"
Attached Images

chibir3dpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

If you can get him/her to flare, or even get a picture where it is not lying on the bottom it would be easier to determine, however the unknown age may make this juvi hard to determine in the first place. A rounder belly, egg spot, beard/no beard, and length of fins usually contributes to the gender :)

Keep the water very clean, warm (78), and feed high protein foods for the baby. Any wholesaler who tosses babies into stores hasn't taken care of them, and being thrown into such situations can cause a shock in the immune system for some young bettas.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

He looks like a veiltail to me... Currently his finnage appear to be female veiltail but they will grow out as he ages if he is male. I was at petco the other day... My mom made fun of me coz i said "AWWWWWWWWW" at this Teeney tiny betta... Like it was SO small, that it was unbelievably cute. xD

Heres a female veiltail:

Males: (some looks a little different)

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Also remember some young males look like females hehehehe :3
Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #5 
chibir3dpanda

Very true thanks for the info.. I'm hoping he turns into a crowntail.. LOL
Old 05-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

lol well that little cutie will just be a veil tail :) usually by that age they show their finnage type right away.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #7 
chibir3dpanda

Nooo lol oh well I still love him whether he's a crowntail or not although I was hoping it would be. Maybe its still possible! Muwahahaha lol
Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

unlikely but trust me, we wish xDD Most I can find here are veils I got my CT shipped lol
Old 05-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #9 
Twilight Storm

I have to join you in saying I got a baby betta today too at our Petco. I SWORE I wouldn't get another betta until I got the ones I was going to breed.... GAH!!!!! The guy at the store said they have a 30 day guarantee now on their fish. I put the cup in the cart.... Your little one is adorable!!

I couldn't resist the cute little thing! I am not really keen either on them selling fry... but.... sigh...... lol

She (I think) was following me around watching me. The rest of the babies were very timid. I have no idea what color mine is but her anal fin has a little white spot on the bottom. From what everyone said here mine is probably a little veiltail too. :D

I just got done acclimating her into a 1/2 gallon container. I was crushing up a couple pellets for her a little bit ago and dropped a whole one in the tank accidently, it shot out from between my nails. The silly little thing snatched that giant pellet before I could react and drug it around for a good 5 minutes before abandoning it to the realistically sized bits of food!!! LOL!! I will try to get pictures of her. :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

oh typical bettas thinking they can get away with what is bigger than their mouths :p