Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #1 
Tazo

New betta parent mistakes xD

I just got my betta yesterday, and I've been a bit of an overconcerned mom xD. I woke up randomly super early and checked the water temperature (it's running a little hot because it's warm here...) And Indy was sitting at the top of the tank not moving.
I freaked out! Of course I took the top off to see if he was alright and nudged him a bit... and he went zooming off. Yeah. He was asleep on top of the thermometer -.-. He was floating upright so I didn't really think he was dead, but he did freak me out a bit... sleeping with his eyes open at the top of the tank...
He was mad at me for waking him up, but he's back to sleep now. I feel so mean, but I thought something was wrong with him!
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #2 
BeckyFish97

You're not the first one to have done that!I did that when I first started keeping betta's, in fact I thought one was dead and it took me till I got the net next to her to realise she was still alive and DEFINITELY kicking!(well technically biting)Don't feel too bad about it, we've all done it at some point!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #3 
Leeniex

I used to come downstairs every morning afraid to look because I was sure one of mine had died during the night. Of course I did the same thing with my human babies, just checking to make sure they are breathing, lol.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #4 
Sheldon31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeniex View Post
I used to come downstairs every morning afraid to look because I was sure one of mine had died during the night. Of course I did the same thing with my human babies, just checking to make sure they are breathing, lol.
Oh I was constantly checking my daughter was breathing as a newborn haha used to poke her if she was too quiet for the first month I constantly checked on ky. I didn't realise how tough little bettas are compared to lot of the more sensitive species that ive had. More so because I lose 2 neon tetra only the month before I got Kyon.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #5 
Sivan

I felt the same way when I got my first betta. Of course, he was also in threat of dying everyday for his first week due to bad water conditions and bad advice from PetSmart so I had earned my paranio. Haha.

Fun fact: Fish don't always die belly-up. That's a myth.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I have given up checking on Odysseus. He likes to sleep face-down in the java moss. If I freaked out every time he looked dead, I'd be living in a padded room. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Same with my Gilbert. He doesn't rest on things but he likes to float at a somewhat sideways angle. I always tell myself he's just getting old but I haven't even had him a year. -sigh-
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Buddha ALWAYS sleeps after I do a tank cleaning. No matter the time of day.

So I often used to think that he died from the stress, and I'd totally freak out. I'd tap the tank a bit, and nudge him, and he'd go swimming away into his little corner to go straight back to sleep. Sometimes he flared at me and swam away haha

Now I know that he's just tired. :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote