Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Highest temp

So, I just want to ask you guys, what's the highest temperature your little buddies have survived?

Just noticed that the temps are rising yesterday and took my juvie out from the heater/ boiler room. Summer's coming soon and the house is gonna be hot hot hot. hopefully I won't be needing the airconditioner

Feel free to post the coldest too!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Ummm... I think the Highest Range is 85F-90F. Rare cases of Severe Ick are known to stand up to 90F and people do this to try to treat it quicker.
EDIT: The Coldest Temperature is probably 70F-72F for them. They really hate the cold... Hate is a Strong Word don't you agree? They really do Hate the Cold.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

My poor fish have managed as cold as 60 when I lost heat during a power surge, and a couple of times when my heater wasn't plugged in properly. During summer, my tanks has hit 90 and there's nothing I can really do about it. I just left the tank open to allow water to evaporate. You can also aim a fan at the water surface.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 
laoshun

I keep my bettas at 88. suggested from other people here to not exceed 90s
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

It may be a good idea to bring the temperature back below 85, Laoshun. Really high temperatures, like 88, can encourage some illnesses.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #6 
Cattitude

I have one fish in a marina cubus, when I put a 10w heater in the temp goes up to 90. If I take the heater out it drops to 76. I'm leaving the heater out because I can't control the temp and I'm afraid if it goes much over 90 I'll end up with a poached fish!

Last edited by Cattitude; 05-19-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #7 
Laki

Hottest, Bowser's tank got to be 30c a couple times in the winter bc the tank was on my desk over our apt heater!! So he had that heat + his heater + the desk lamp... Then I moved him!

Coldest, Lakitu pre-heater in the winter at our old house which wasn't well insulated. He was never lethargic though!! Which put off my decision to even get a heater in the first place.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
My poor fish have managed as cold as 60 when I lost heat during a power surge, and a couple of times when my heater wasn't plugged in properly. During summer, my tanks has hit 90 and there's nothing I can really do about it. I just left the tank open to allow water to evaporate. You can also aim a fan at the water surface.

Woah 60. I'm glad it never gets that cold in my house oO I live in a basement so temperature is pretty stable. But when its hot in summer it takes some time for it to cool again. NYC summer have reached the 100s before :P I hope that doesnt happen this year...
Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Yeah...houses in Australia are not amazingly well insulated. :p And I live in a relatively cold city, for Australia, meaning we can get down to a couple of Cs below freezing in the mornings, and don't tend to get temps much over 35C in the summer, usually not much over 30.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hey Bomba, you in Melbourne?