Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #1 
Emmalee01

Betta in bowls!

I have been browsing this forum for a few weeks, and am interested to know how many of you have your betta kept in bowls? I have my two VT males in 2.5 gallon heated bowls with java moss and river stones. I would post a pic but my camera is playing up :/

I know many people on this forum seem to HATE bowls, but I personally think they can be lovely if done correctly (heated, regular water changes, plenty of room)

I'd love to see some pics if you have any too-
I'll post a pic of mine when I get a working camera.
Emmalee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #2 
LionCalie

I wouldn't consider 2.5 gallons as a bowl, but rather a small tank. To me, anything under 1 gallon is a bowl. Many people view 2.5 gallons as an acceptable minimum tank size. Here is a picture of one of my 2.5 gallon tanks that currently houses Skye. He's got Java Moss as well. Love that stuff! I also recently switched out the fake driftwood for a real one.

LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:58 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I have one - well, it's not really a bowl - it's a giant wine glass and holds about 2 gallons. I don't really like anything ina circle shape as it distorts everything.

I think this would look better with sand - still not a fan of circles though
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #4 
Emmalee01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
I wouldn't consider 2.5 gallons as a bowl, but rather a small tank. To me, anything under 1 gallon is a bowl. Many people view 2.5 gallons as an acceptable minimum tank size. Here is a picture of one of my 2.5 gallon tanks that currently houses Skye. He's got Java Moss as well. Love that stuff! I also recently switched out the fake driftwood for a real one.

I love your drift wood by the way! And I see what you mean by 2.5 gallons being more 'tanks'...However my 2.5 gallons are bowls.

And Tikibird, it does distort the fish abit, especially when they swim round the back...they look giant I like your wine glass by the way- very unique
Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #5 
Emmalee01

to give an example of what I mean, my bowls are quite similar to this one (without the poor white cloud minnow of course)http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...wl-w-java.html
Old 05-20-2012, 03:52 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

I bought it a few years ago from walmart- it was just collecting dust so I figured - why not use it for a fish. There is a tetra heater in there too but it really does not do much - maybe heats it to 72 and its a 50 watt heater - no way it could heat up 10 gallons
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #7 
Twilight Storm

I don't have anything special in the bowl I'm using now with my baby betta. It's a 1/2 gallon bowl that I used as my quarantine tank. With all the water changes I didn't want to decorate it much.

So far I threw in a sprig of green hedge to float on the surface and put in a chunk of driftwood with some java fern on it for the bottom. The java fern has little white bugs that hatched on it and the baby is eating them so I may throw in the rest of the effected fern so he can clean it up. I will probably throw in some java moss if he does a good job with the white bugs.

BTW thank you, I learned something from the link you posted. I saw the caption under the picture about not true pearling from a water change. I googled pearling and found out my plants must be happy if they are doing it.

I threw a bowl of java moss, a moss ball, and a few assorted pieces of that lace java fern that were not doing well under the light from an Aerogarden. Within a couple days the moss ball, and everything else started making those bubbles. Learn something new every day. :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #8 
Emmalee01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Storm View Post
So far I threw in a sprig of green hedge to float on the surface and put in a chunk of driftwood with some java fern on it for the bottom. The java fern has little white bugs that hatched on it and the baby is eating them so I may throw in the rest of the effected fern so he can clean it up. I will probably throw in some java moss if he does a good job with the white bugs.

I think I may add some java fern to my bowls too- do you find it needs good lighting? Your bowl is probably great for a small betta with all those live plants
Old 05-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #9 
TheCheese909

I used to, I had my oldest fish Psych (avvie pic) when I first got him in a tiny goldfish bowl (shown in the picture below) when I first got him. He was in there for about 2 weeks with a little tiny silk grassy plant. Then I upgraded him to a tank very similar to the one Tikibirds has- that one looks like one a friend uses for her baby Betta, which was bought from WalMart, mine was from PetSmart and I think was a little bit smaller. He got really super sick after about 4 months of living in there, so much so that I thought he was going to die and he almost did. I got him a MiniBow and used it as a hospital tank and once he got better I upgraded him to a 2.5 BettaBow.. After another 4 months or so I eventually put him in a 5 gallon where he lives now, which is shown in the picture below as well. He's gone from that tiny little bowl to a big heated, filtered tank lol.

I personally know several fish who do not like larger tanks and who do not like any type of filter, some are best left in small bowls. I call them "Puddle Fish", as they seem to thrive best in tiny amounts of water.

Side note, the little goldfish bowl looks dirty because I had some water and plant food in it for a piece of bamboo which just got put into a different vase lol.. just thought i'de let you know. ;)
Attached Images

TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

I do! my juvie's in a planted 1/2 gallon. (oh those water changes!)
:D who said half gallons are impossible to plant? I'm lookin to upgrade to one of those bigger almost 1 gals when she gets bigger :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote