Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #21 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
This is Buddha's 2 gallon bowl :)
How do you keep this one warm? :) You may also want to raise the waterline, because right now I'm guessing it only holds a gallon, maybe a gallon and a half, and that's half a gallon less of ammonia dilution. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #22 
Alcemistnv

Oh, the water is low because I was preparing to move out of my dorm, so I kept it low so it didn't slosh around when in the car xD

And I do regular cleanings to keep the water moderate, and the room he is in now is climate controlled, so his tank's temperature doesn't go down too low ^^

I'm planning on getting a 10 gallon before I move back, so I'm getting an official heater then xD
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:42 PM   #23 
Emmalee01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I don't have a bowl, but I would love one one day, a big 5 gal one for a coffee table, with lots of plants. :)
That would look awesome. I'd love to find a 5 gallon bowl! I think well planted bowls look great- I'm planning on adding more to my two- maybe some java fern (My lights not that great however). I think interestingly shaped tanks can look amazing if done well.
Emmalee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #24 
Emmalee01

Some kind of live plant would look great in this bowl :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
This is Buddha's 2 gallon bowl :)

Emmalee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #25 
TheCheese909

I agree with Emmalee01 about Alcemistnv's bowl. My PetCo sells these weird moss balls that float at the surface of the water, I think you would want to tie them down with some fishing wire so they are completely submerged but I think they would probably look neat floating around near the top of the water somewhere.. My friend has 2 with one of her CTs and he loves to push them around and play with them lol
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #26 
teeneythebetta

I think that bowls are better when heated and cleaned properly.. But I still dislike bowls...

For me- at least, I couldnt have a bowl due to having cats.. Also when I was little (4 years old) I picked up my betta's bowl and dropped it.. Made a huge mess and could have killed my fish.. (I have 4 younger siblings so that would be a worry)

But I also think of it as if I were in a swimming pool- I would love to swim in a really big, long pool versus a backyard above ground pool. I wouldn't put a betta in anything under 5 gallons... Just my opinion... Everyone has their own.

Here is my betta in her 10 gallon tank (not done decorating it yet)

teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #27 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalee01 View Post
I think I may add some java fern to my bowls too- do you find it needs good lighting? Your bowl is probably great for a small betta with all those live plants
Java ferns are actually low light plants... But they still need some light (obviously) I'm not so sure how it would do in a bowl, since there would be no overhead light, and you cant put the bowl in direct sunlight :/
Old 05-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #28 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionCalie View Post
I wouldn't consider 2.5 gallons as a bowl, but rather a small tank. To me, anything under 1 gallon is a bowl. Many people view 2.5 gallons as an acceptable minimum tank size. Here is a picture of one of my 2.5 gallon tanks that currently houses Skye. He's got Java Moss as well. Love that stuff! I also recently switched out the fake driftwood for a real one.

Your tank looks so beautiful! What plant is the one on the right hand side? I'm soon going to make my tank natural themed and I just love that plant!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #29 
Alcemistnv

I actually have a plant that I did use to put in there, but it was taller than the actual tank so it looked really awkward.

But a live plant does sound great :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #30 
Bombalurina

Java fern should grow with an indirect light source. You don't need an overhead light.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote