Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #1 
Neil D

That Air Pump is driving me NUTS!

Hey guys, I just got a 40g tank for a couple of fancy goldfish, but the Tetra Whisper 60 Air Pump is driving me crazy!!!! Do you think I could get away with an air pump designed for a 20g tank? I have a Marineland 350 Filter designed for a 70g tank, so I mean, it's not like there won't be any surface agitation/filtration.

So in recap, can I get away with an air pump for a 20g tank?
IF not, can you guys recommend any SUPER QUIET pumps? My dad is ridiculously noise sensitive, and it irks me.

Thanks.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I have no idea how well a sponge filter would work for goldies, but if you have 2 filters in there, I would suggest one regular filter, and a sponge filter. I use the http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753029 which is what you have... How come it is bugging you? is it just the size that is making it vibrate more? Use a 40 gallon pump maybe, (if that doesn't work I want it :p hehe). I have the 20 gallon one. And it doesn't make a single sound. I use it for 10-20 gallon though. If you DO have another filter meant for a larger tank you can get away with it.
Be warned though, you will want to get a 70 :3 those fellas are pooping machines :p plus get to a decent size <3

Then get the sponge filter pieces, or jsut an aquarium sponge you can anchor to the bottom with weights or rocks. Getting tubing, and an adjustable valve for air flow. Cleaning is as easy as take out, rinse in old aquarium water, put back

If you want go with Fluval (three sizes on petsmart http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=4455062 - you can see the one review saying it is better than aqua clear xD

Here is one I use! http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3943444 I love it. Generally quiet. the water level goes down, it doesn't make a churning sound that says "FILL THE WATER UP!" it stays quiet. If it still has the water high enough, it's just dribbling water for sound. I will recommend this 100% PLUS adjustable flow, easy to clean, etc.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-20-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #3 
Neil D

Thanks!

Our filter is the Marineland Penguin 350. Really big and "quiet".

Is the whisper 20 air pump quiet? Like, dead silent?
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I don't hear it. Basically it's a very very soft humming sound. It's good on tables, hard floors or carpet. I've never had a problem. Just avoid it being right against something otherwise you hear the obnoxious buzzing of the other object touching I don't notice mine is on really.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #5 
Neil D

Okay. We'll probably return ours today or tomorrow. Here's to hoping. *toasts*
Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Good luck! =D
Old 05-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Yeah, if you want surface agitation, do look at the Fluval range. Super quiet. I have two running in my bedroom and you just cannot hear them. I use the internal ones, the U1 and U2, and they provide some good water movement without even the waterfall noise of a HOB or the bubble noise of an aerator. :)

I have never found a truly silent airpump. :S
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:21 PM   #8 
Neil D

Seems like the plan's changed to 2 (maybe 3) Goldies. So I don't think an air pimp is really necessary. I'll still look into one, though. :)
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

You'd be pushing it with 3...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #10 
Neil D

I'm aware of the boundaries. Definitely have done my research (when I should be studying for exams, XD)