Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Well in that case grab a couple fluvals. Trust me, those are poopers xD They are quiet, worth the money, and clean nicely.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #12 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Two would be sufficient but three would really be pushing the physical space for them. The bioload is going to be large as well and something that would need to be kept in check as well with regular testing and water changes.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM   #13 
Neil D

New filter is out of the question. And we aren't planning on massive goldies right off the bat. I know they'll grow. I'll definitely keep on the WCs. Of course the tank'll be cycled. I'm really going for 2 though. Just need to get my mom on board. :)
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Well, plan on up-grading of course xD Hopefully your mom would agree to it.

And yeah try just 2 :p trust me my OSCAR is bad enough in an 80 gallon LOL and he's a baby!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #15 
Neil D

Definitely, but ultimately, it's her decision. Will definitely push for 2.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #16 
thekoimaiden

Even with two goldfish I would still get an air pump. I have two goldfish in a 55 gal tank and need to use the air pump in the summer as the water doesn't hold much oxygen. I have three fusion air pumps running in my bedroom and can hardly hear them at all. I highly recommend them.

I agree with everyone. Three goldfish in a 40 gal is pushing it. If you want to do that, you should either run two HOB's or get a large canister. Space will be an issue but so will surface area for the BB. I recently helped someone who had a cycle stall because there wasn't enough surface area to support the BB; she had a 40 gal and ended up getting a canister filter. Two goldfish in there should be perfectly fine. As far as the physical space issue, goldfish growth isn't something that we can predict. I've heard breeders say they've gotten both runts and giants from the same spawn. With good food and proper water changes, they will grow to be pretty large and rather fast. As far as which ones stay the smallest, I've heard that ryukin and pearlscales stay the smallest while orandas tend to be larger. But this is not always the case.

And lastly, thank you for doing your research before buying. It warms my hear to see goldfish going to a proper home.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #17 
Neil D

:)

I always research before buying pets. I have my bettas in a divided 10g lol.

Like I said, I'm gonna try for the 2 fish, but if my mom says 3, I gotta recant. If they're larger, she'll be okay with 2. I *hope* petsmart
will have some good size ones. (they usually do)

Also a few sources say that for fancies 20g for the first fish, and 10g for any other fish.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

That might work for the very smallest fancies, but I'm not sure about pearlscales...aren't they one of the bigger types? I definitely wouldn't try it with moores or something.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #19 
Wolfie305

Nah Pearlies are the little guys :3

And I know how you feel about the air pump. I had a Tetra "Whisper" whatever for my goldie rescues and I hated it. Had to shut it off at night. I have the thing on 4 foled towels and a beanie baby and it still vibrates or just makes noise in general :eyeroll:

Good luck with your goldies :3 <3
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #20 
Neil D

Yep. If the reviews about the whisper are right, I'm not getting one. I will definitely try a 10-20g rated one though. IF it doesn't work, forget it. My dad will flip and I can't study sitting next to a train. Thanks a lot guys. :)