Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #1 
DanielaMarie

Divided betta tank w/ cories

Hey everyone!

I will be setting up a 10 gallon tank and am trying to figure out how I want to stock it. I love the look of multiple boys side-by-side, but also community tanks. What do you all think of these ideas?

1) divided 3 ways for 3 boys
2) divided 4 ways for 4 boys
3) one boy and a shoal of cories
4) divided for 2 boys with a small shoal of cories on either side

Thank you for your thoughts.
DanielaMarie
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Cories should have I'd say 3-4 for grouping... They poop lots :p I'm not sure I'd have 3 on each side, as they need the full space to roam - they can get scared and hurt themselves in 5 gallon space! :(

You could divide three ways... but for me I think it would be hard to have a filter and heater in there for all of them...well mainly the filter, because the center boy would get the full flow lol.

I like 2 ways :) you can add a cool hidey hole, plants, etc, easier to clean... Plus pressing the heater and filter up against the divider both get the benefit!!

I wouldn't divide 4 ways though, personally :) mainly because of the heater situation.

If you do divide, add lots of plants so they do not see each other constantly. I only have 2 who do not care to see each other, and do not get stressed. I've had many who get stressed seeing each other all the time.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:55 PM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

You need the full 10 gallons of space to have cories. :C

If it was me I'd have one betta with a school of cories or a divided tank with 2. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 
Micho

1) Sounds good to me.
2) A bit too crowded, divided three or two ways is the best option if you want to divide.
3) This sounds like a good plan, but it depends on what kind of Cory you'll be getting. Pygmy Cories would work, about eight of them with one boy. Also with that Cories will need a sand substrate, no gravel.
4) This wouldn't work, either just two boys. But if you really want Cories option 3 would work for you.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I agree. Options 1 and 3 are both good. 2 seems a little two crowded, and you couldn't have cories in 4.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #6 
DanielaMarie

Here's another couple ideas.

1) Sorority of 7/8 girls.
2)Sorority of 5 girls and 4 cories.

What are the chances of needing extra tanks for unsuitable girls? I have a small 1 gallon that I'm planning on using as a QT/hospital tank, but I don't have the physical space for a bunch of extra tanks if this doesn't work out. Is there any way to decrease the chances of needing extra tanks?
DanielaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

High chances.

I have 3 females separated. One was bullied, one was the bully, one is a breeder. I only ave THREE together (which is a no no but in 40 gallons they haven't bothered each other) since a couple died from organ damage from being beaten. Females can be just as aggressive as males!!

I'd suggest trying 4 girls first, with 4 cories... Easier to separate, and a good number to start with! But first off stuff that tank full of low-light plants, fake soft plants, ornaments, etc. Trust me - you'll regret it otherwise
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen

4 girlies and 4 cories is a lot for a 10 gallon :$ I'd once again, go with with 5-6 girls OR cories and a male.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

+1. A sorority plus cories in a ten gallon is pushing it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote