Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #1 
Delta

New haul of fish!

So today I visited Petco to stock up on cat litter. And then, lo and behold! I had some extra money in my pocket. So I thought, why not pick up some new bettas?

Introducing...

Poison Ivy! ( Aka Pam) A turquoise combtail beauty <3 Can someone please, PLEASE, help me sex it? I thought it was a girl, as it displayed vertical stripes when it saw my males...but I see no egg spot. Help?

Batman! Just a normal Royal Blue betta for my grandma. A rather sad looking fish. :L But she adores his color, so...

Emma Frost. Well he's a guy, but still. Anyone help me identify the tail type? They had him labeled as a veiltail, but he definitely isn't. He also has something wrong with his tail...

And finally... at a trip to Wal-Mart for some flowers, I found this beauty. Black Canary. A mustard gas little female. Love her to bits ♥ How'd she end up there? She's most yellow in the normal light.

And that was my day today. Went out for average household items... come back with four fish.
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #2 
Luimeril

Emma Frost is a lovely Doubletail~! <3 beautiful boys and girls! Pam has itty bitty ventrals, but still could be a young male. :I i'm no good at sexing bettas at all..
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #3 
Delta

Thank you Luimeril! I initially thought Frost was a double tail too, because of his wide fins. But rather his tail is single, I've checked. It just folds over in the back. Maybe he was initially a double tail...but they merged?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm... I think Pam may be too young to sex right now. Egg spot, eggy belly, no beard, small fins, would be a sign of females... beard, no egg spot (some males DO have egg spots btw), and the fins will grow a bit longer, then it'd be a male.

And I agree with Luimeril :3

hmm maybe he is a HM? delta? get him to flare!!! we'd know for sure then
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #5 
Delta

Even when he does flare, his tail is still so large it folds over in the back. But as far as I can tell, he's around a HM or a Super Delta. Silly Petco, labeling him a VT.

Well Pam got vertical stripes as males, as I've said... but then she also has a beard. But when Canary was in the tank with Pam, Canary ALSO had a beard. Some females can flare... Muh. So confused. I'm awful as sexing bettas.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #6 
Jessicatm137

LOVE Poison Ivy and Emma Frost!!! Can't help you with Pam, sorry. :( Emma Frost, I can't help you as well. Not much help, but had to say something about your beauty's!
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 
Delta

Aw, thank you! Can you believe Pammy was just 2 dollars?! She was a steal <3 ( Stole my heart too, lol)

Frost was a beauty too. Only 4 dollars, since he was labeled as a Veiltail... I saw him and snatched him up, before they realized their mistake xD Because of his weird tail deformity, though, I'm not going to breed him...
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Haha well if they labelled an HM as a VT, you got a darn good price xD
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #9 
Jessicatm137

+1 to Sena.
Jessicatm137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 
MollyJean

OMG comic nerd! Yay!

Pam is CUTE! She looks like a girl to me, body and belly and fins.. but if she's really little she could still turn into a boy.

Wouldn't it be just horrible if we couldn't tell the sex of our human children til they hit middleschool..... O.O Yikes!

Anyway, I was looking really close at the last one. And more pictures would be nice, cause it's something I've never seen before! His body isn't as short as some DTs, which is great, but the tail is so odd.

I can see 2 parts.. but there kind of looks like 4?

Right in the middle there is a split, just like any other full DT

But it almost looks like each lobe of his tail is split into two...

Or I could be seeing things, lol! Either way, he's a handsome guy. (Not a big White Queen fan, though. LOL)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote