Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Ghost Shrimp

Okay. I have a question about, Ghost Shrimp. Let me tell you what happened. I have taken an interest to Ghost Shrimp as a Tank Mate.
And I was wondering, How many Gallons do I need for 1 Male Betta, and 1 Ghost Shrimp? It's because I don't want my Tank to be Overstocked, and too much Ammonia in it. I really want it as a Tank Mate for my Betta but, I want to think it through first. I just wanted to know if there is any Special Needs for it, or anything. I know they eat Leftover Food that Fishes don't eat. And that they are Translucent. But, I've also heard that they could be Eaten AND Eat Small Fish. I just want to know how to care for them Properly, and make sure that the Shrimp AND my Betta are going to be safe and compatible together. Any Advice would be Greatly Appreciated. ;)
Thanks!!! ;P
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
FrostSinth

I got four ghost shrimp, my betta attacked and killed 3 of them, the last survived and is still surviving. My betta leaves him alone for the most part, but the shrimp spends most of the time hiding out.

Lots of cover, and don't let your tank get above 78 degrees or the poor things will cook. They'll eat whatever your betta doesn't (a bit of extra won't hurt either). :D :D

This is just what I know.
FrostSinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks. I'm still thinking about it. When he killed them, was it messy?
Poor Things. Wait, did he EAT them? Or just Kill?
And what size tank can 1 Shrimp Live in with a Male Betta?
I'm afraid my Tank is too small. But it does have a Hiding Barrel.
While I'm There, I'll probably get some Java Moss if PetSmart has it.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Ghost shrimp produce next to no ammonia, so don't worry about that. You could easily have 4 shrimp per gallon, even with a betta in the tank.

Your betta may eat your ghosts, but by providing plenty of cover such as dense-growing plants like lacefern and java moss, you maximise their chances of survival.

Ghosts aren't great algae eaters and do have claws, so they can nibble on a betta's tail. I don't hear of this often, but it does happen. I prefer red cherries for this reason. Cherries are also much easier to breed, as the fry survive a heck of a lot more easily than ghostie fry.

If you have to do 100% changes on your tank, shrimp aren't for you. You want a tank where partial changes are enough. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #5 
SpookyTooth

I'd like to mention that you need to take care where you buy your shrimp from. Ghost shrimp are often sold as feeders and are priced very cheaply - sometimes, due to this, they aren't treated so well so please remember to quarantine them before adding them to your betta tank and check for any diseases.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #6 
Ramble

Interesting...I got both cherry shrimp and ghost shrimp...the cherry shrimp didn't last long at all, but the ghost shrimp are breeding and growing like crazy.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #7 
Crowntailed

If you get shrimp you need/should have more then 1 they like to be in groups so i would go atleast 4-5. I personaly like cherry shrimp better because they are a little bit larger then the ghost shrimp.
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Thanks for the Answers!!! ;)
Your Replies REALLY helped me. Oh, and my Betta lives in a 3.5 Gallon. (Enough?)
If it is, How many Shrimps can I put in it? As you said, they do better in groups. And also, is a few medium pieces Java Moss enough for them? I also have a Hollow Barrel that my Betta sometimes goes into.
Thanks for Helping me!!! :)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #9 
Tracey

So what did you end up getting and how did it work out? I'm thinking of doing the same, but was interested to know how it went for you first.
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #10 
Cargo

Some bettas eat them and some don't. It is good to have a planted tank, with carpeting plants. Dwarf hairgrass and microsword are good examples of carpeting plants. Then you could have a moss ball or two, some java moss, java fern, etc.
Cargo is offline   Reply With Quote