Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 
littlegreen

A 10 gallon at college? What set-ups do other college students have?

Hello, everyone! 8)

It would seem that like everyone else on this forum, the betta bug has bit me hard.

Right now, I only own one betta: a copper super delta named Caravaggio. His home is a filtered, heated and lighted 3 gallon tank.

I am also babysitting a lovely blue/yellow veil tail named Lucky. I've set up a 2.5 gallon heated drum for him (soon to be lighted etc. He came from a one gallon, unheated home and has some fin problems and I plan to return him with all the fixings, completely healed!)

However, I've found that I really like having two fish. I am seriously considering getting another betta for myself (fingers crossed for an orange or yellow boy : ] ). What I want to do is get a ten gallon tank and divide it. I would leave the 10 gallon at school throughout the year, and have the fish in a smaller set-up during breaks. This way I wouldn't have to haul an aquarium across the state.

This is my question to you all: do you think that a ten gallon is manageable at college? Would I be able to clean it without having to carry it to a sink (what I did with my 3 gallon at college was carry it to the bathroom after emptying it partway and then I'd rinse out the substrate because I couldn't find a vac small enough for it)? How heavy would it be?

What do other college students do? I'd love to hear about your set up!
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 
laoshun

Well if you plan to do that I would just do cup and bucket method for cleaning. Just cup out the water into a bucket and drain it into ur college bathroom. Then fill your bucket with clean water and cup it back in.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

I have 4 male bettas in a split 20 gallon long and will take them to school in a 10 gallon during the year but will only break down the tank to come home for the summer. Over winter break I am going to bring them home in their cups and put them back in the 20 gallon for the month break. I would say a 10 gallon at college is definetly manageable :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 
JKfish

If you get yourself a 2.5 to 5 gallon bucket and a siphon, there is no need to move the tank around for water changes so long as it is cycled. Breaking them down and moving them isn't really that difficult for long car rides either :)
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #5 
MissFutureVet

I have a 5 gal where my boys live and an empty 2.5 gal tank. I use a siphon empty the dirty water into the 2.5 and just pour it into the shower because its easier than the sink.(if you do this, make sure you are barefoot and have a towel on the ground to wipe your feet so you dont track water throughout your room) If you don't have a tank, you can use a bucket like everyone else said (as long as you can carry it without it being too heavy) A 10 gal is definitely manageable. I wish I could have a 10 gal at school, but 5 is the max =(
MissFutureVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #6 
littlegreen

Thanks, guys! : D I love hearing about other college set ups. My school's rule is that the animal has to be unable to survive on land for more than 9 hours. No tank limitations.
littlegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #7 
Fluval

If you were changing 20% of the water a week, it would be 2 gallons. They would weigh about 13 pounds.
Fluval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #8 
MissFutureVet

Lucky!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

I believe it is. I do know that at my college dorm that I'm going to, there is a bath tub which I will most likely use when I end up cleaning it. But I do know that there are a LOT of people who have 10 gallons here. I think it might be harder depending on the type of fish you have, to be honest.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #10 
MissFutureVet

WHAT!!!!! bathtubs, 10 gallon fish tanks?!?!!?! apparently I am going to the wrong school! you guys get all the fun stuff!