Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 11:47 PM   #1 
mellyjelly321

New Betta Questions

Hi All!

I just got a new Betta today and thought that I had followed the proper guidelines to preparing his tank, etc. I've owned Betta's before (though it's been many years), but I was inexperienced at the time and didn't really give them nice big tanks, etc. Even so, they lived about 3 years and were healthy and seemed pretty happy. I had them in large bowls before, with no filter system, so this part is new to me.

This new guy I got today, is just hanging out on the bottom of the tank, hiding behind his plant. He won't eat. (Which I realize can happen sometimes.) He's not actively swimming or exploring. His fins are fairly pinned. He's just laying on his side/stomach on the rocks in the corner.

My biggest question is... How do I know if the filter in my 5gal tank is too strong for him? I don't know if he's just lounging and adjusting, or if the current is too strong for him, or what?

The temp is fine, water is well-conditioned and treated, levels are within normal range.

Is he just depressed? Is the filter flow too strong? Is he just adapting?

Any advice welcomed and thanks ahead of time!
mellyjelly321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Bettas who are adjusting, can sulk or hide... I've had bettas who did that, didn't eat for weeks, then I had those who would eat right away and play in the flow of the filter

Is yuor filter adjustable? If not I would recommend maybe baffling it... I do not know how to so someone else has to pipe up
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #3 
mellyjelly321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Bettas who are adjusting, can sulk or hide... I've had bettas who did that, didn't eat for weeks, then I had those who would eat right away and play in the flow of the filter

Is yuor filter adjustable? If not I would recommend maybe baffling it... I do not know how to so someone else has to pipe up

The filter doesn't appear to be adjustable in flow. I've never baffled a filter before, so I'll have to research how to do that.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

What temperature is it? That could also be a factor. Try raising it to 80 (if it isn't already there) to give him an energy boost. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #5 
TheCheese909

You can try getting him some API Stress Coat, two cap fulls may make him get used to his tank faster.. I have had some Bettas who didn't like the larger tanks and preferred a smaller place to live. If he starts losing his color, gasping for air and darting away from you I would take him out and either divide the tank in half for a bit or if you happen to have one on hand put him in a smaller tank. Sometimes it can just be too much of a shock going from a little cup to an "ocean" of a 5 gallon aquarium right away.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I had a betta (Dally...still have him!) who loved his stupid 1 gallon bowl I tried to upgrade him to a 3 gallon and for a week he would not eat, would not move except to dart when you spooked him. So I put him back and he was perfectly fine ><
Old 05-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #7 
mellyjelly321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
What temperature is it? That could also be a factor. Try raising it to 80 (if it isn't already there) to give him an energy boost. :)

Thanks Bombalurina, it was at 78 last night but I will try scooching up to 80 today.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM   #8 
mellyjelly321

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post
You can try getting him some API Stress Coat, two cap fulls may make him get used to his tank faster.. I have had some Bettas who didn't like the larger tanks and preferred a smaller place to live. If he starts losing his color, gasping for air and darting away from you I would take him out and either divide the tank in half for a bit or if you happen to have one on hand put him in a smaller tank. Sometimes it can just be too much of a shock going from a little cup to an "ocean" of a 5 gallon aquarium right away.

Thanks Cheese! I will get that right after work today. When I woke up this morning, he had moved around in the tank a little, but his top fin is fading in color and he is clearly still depressed. I am going to add the API today, and see if I can slow the filter flow a little. Worried about the poor little guy.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Hmmm maybe... you could try turning the filter off? If anything, you could invest in a small 10-20 Whisper air pump, air tubing, an adjustable flow valve, and an aquarium sponge I use it for fry tanks AND for weak swimmers. My Georgie is an ancient grumpy bugger and he needs a sponge filter
Old 05-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #10 
mellyjelly321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Hmmm maybe... you could try turning the filter off? If anything, you could invest in a small 10-20 Whisper air pump, air tubing, an adjustable flow valve, and an aquarium sponge I use it for fry tanks AND for weak swimmers. My Georgie is an ancient grumpy bugger and he needs a sponge filter

Thanks, I did go buy a 10w whisper with a sponge, but it's not looking too good. Temp is fluxuating between 78-82. I gave him some Betta Fix and he went from laying on his side and panting, to laying upside down and panting.

It's not looking good for the little guy and I'm not sure what else to do at this point other than give him time and see how he goes. I'm rootin' for the little guy and hate seeing him suffer.