Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #1 
Bettaluver4evr

The Halfmoon Thread

If I am asked what my favorite finnage is on a betta, there is no hesitation in my answer: HALFMOON. They mesmerize me. Their finnage is quite large and full, and when they flare and fan it out it is just breathtaking. I remember when I bought my first Halfmoon last year, labled as a delta. I thought he was a delta until I saw him flare, and I almost shot through the ceiling. Sadly he ripped his fins on a filter and they were never the same, especially after his tail biting stage. Gave him as a gift to my close friend, who keeps him in a 1.5 gallon tank and does water changes every week. :)
A week ago today I got my second halfmoon. I tried to get him to flare but he would not. I couldn't be sure that he was a halfmoon. But I bought him anyway because I fell in love with his big mouth and fins. Just got flaring pics today. Lo-and-behold... he is in fact a HM. Last pic is my favorite. In the 3rd pic, he is beside his "girl friend." They are both much more active and she much less stressed when she is by his tank. Just got her 3 days ago. :)
:) PLEASE post pics of your halfmoons here. I never tire of looking at them.
Attached Images

Bettaluver4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #2 
Luimeril

none of my HMs are full HMs.... Twitch, my DTHM *may* be, if he'd stop biting his tail long enough for me to see. xD even Todd, my rosetail, isn't full 180 or over. :B

i adore your boy's color. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #3 
BeckyFish97

My guys and girls!
In order:
Gandalf-OHM Male
Lily-OHM Female
Indigo-HM Female
Jade-HM Female
Pineapple-not so female HM-not sure if he will be when he's grown his fins fully-maybe only a super delta!
Attached Images

BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #4 
Hopeseeker

I loved the full finnage that my Paarthurnax had when we got him....he is my first halfmoon and unfortunately, my first tailbiter....
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #5 
Bettaluver4evr

Luimeril! Long time no see! How are your bettas doing? :) And haha it's okay, deltas are still gorgeous. :) I have one!
Beckyfish - Gandalf the white is just gorgeous. ;) WOW an OHM eek I would just faint if I had one of those. Stunning. Your other's are gorgeous too! Your last 2 bettas are very pretty, clean water will heal those fins right up! Last fish is definitely a male. Very pretty though! I'd say he's going to be a delta. :)
Hopeseeker - I know how you feel! My first halfmoon tore his tail on the filter that came with the tetra 1.5 gallon tank. The upper half was completely torn off, the lower half shredded. Bought him a minibow and over the next few months he slowly healed, until he decided that he didn't like his tail and proceeded to chew it off. Put him in a 1 gallon tank with an aerator and light, hoping to keep him preoccupied by the bubbles and moving water. Didn't help much. But now he's been rehomed, my good old man. :) Had him for a year and 4 months!

Last edited by Bettaluver4evr; 05-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #6 
BeckyFish97

Bettaluver4evr:Yes that picture was taken about a month ago, way before I knew he was a boy, they're all healed up now, I could never work out why he was beaten up so badly, but then I started to suspect as his fins grew back in our main tank, he was throwing the girls about every other second, thankfully the tank is large and well covered so they had plenty of hidey holes, he's in a seperate tank now!I'm breeding gandalf and lily soon, babies should be grown up by august if all goes well, he's never been a tailbiter so hopefully his babies wont be!!!Where are you?I might be able to send you a baby!(well not a baby a fully grown baby!!!)
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #7 
Bettaluver4evr

AH that would be a DREAM come true. A white OHM. *dies on the floor* LoL. I'm in the U.S., Southeast Florida. Ah, but you are in the UK! Haha.
I'd love to see updated pics of those last 3! ;D Now that they're all better. :P
Old 05-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #8 
lelei

Oh yes, I am with you, I love the Halfmoons, I have been recently attracted to CT's, but LOVE..ADORE H/M's!! they just have that full finnage, that makes them extra special:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #9 
lelei

@ Bettaluvr4eva..I just saw a H/M all White, on aquabid.com..beautiful fishy:) I soo want him right now.. but I just can't :(
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #10 
MoonShadow

My boy Alastair

and Misha (He is a full HM)
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote