Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

How high are the levels in your tank? What kind of tap water conditioner do you use? When was the last water change?

Can you put him back in the old tank?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #12 
mellyjelly321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
How high are the levels in your tank? What kind of tap water conditioner do you use? When was the last water change?

Can you put him back in the old tank?

Sena,

I just got him yesterday and he came in a cup. I had cycled and conditioned the water for 72 hours before transitioning him. The pH was at 7.0, temp was between 78-80 degrees. I use API Betta Conditioner. Hadn't even had a chance to do a water change for him, as he just died this afternoon... Didn't even live for 24 hours and I am very sad that he suffered.
mellyjelly321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #13 
mellyjelly321

Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for the input and advice. Unfortunately, the little guy passed away just this past hour. I'm not sure if he was already sick before I bought him, or the stress of being relocated was just too much, or what. I felt that I had taken every measure to prepare his tank accordingly and transition him gently. Poor little guy.

So, as I decide what step to take next, what are you guys' advice. Obviously I need to do a full water change and all new cycling. Is there someplace specific I should look at buying my new Betta from? (Without paying a fortune.)

Any other steps I should go back and redo?

Thanks all!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

By the sound of it, he probably was sick. Unfortunately many bettas kept in un-ideal conditions might suffer, and it sucks!

Cycling is good for 5 gallons and up, and can take 4-6 weeks approximately with an ammonia source...a fish... pure ammonia...piece of raw shrimp... or fish food. With 50% weekly cleaning.

Personally I say stay away from Walmart bettas. I dunno where you got your fella... Depending on your area you might have a breeder near you, or someone on here who could ship you a healthy betta, especially if they are close enough! Aquabid might have some too, if you would be willing to have one shipped I've seen Ebay ones go for free shipping, and decently priced bettas.

If you cannot get one shipped, try a live fish store over a pet store. They tend to care more! If you have to go with a pet store, just check these:

1. bettas fins are full and not stuck together. 2. the betta is active and reacts well to you or other fish, va flaring or becoming active. 3. Color is full, without discoloration, patches, ich, or rot/holes in fins or body. 4. the gills shouldn't be stuck open, inflamed, but because they are in cups they may not be a healthy pink either, as they should be.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #15 
mellyjelly321

Thanks Sena!

I will look into all of these possibilities for finding a young healthy guy. I got him at PetSmart (and generally I've had good experiences with them in the past). It's ironic because my husband and I have had a 100gal saltwater live reef aquarium for three years, and managed to keep those fish alive. But, this poor little Betta didn't make it 24 hours.

I appreciate your input and advice!

Cheers!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

Well some bettas just come weak unfortunately! :(

good luck though!!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #17 
TheCheese909

Poor fella.

You can still buy from PetSmart, I own 9 Bettas 3 of which are from PetSmart, 1 from WalMart and 5 from PetCo.. I've had one of my PetSmart boys since August last year, it's not always where you get them from that matters.

I suggest with your next Betta purchase try putting him in a 1 - 2 gallon tank for a week or so first with just a plant, no gravel just a soft plant that won't tear his or her fins. Change his water once a day with the Stress Coat. This is just so that you know for sure that your new fish is healthy and not sick, they typically show their sickness within that first week of you having them. This will also help him get used to having more room to swim, because chances are he's not been in a whole lot of water for most of his life. And, it'll give you some time to bond with him without him being able to get too far away from you to hide lol, you'll be able to become friends a bit quicker this way, just dont be pushy ;) .

While you're doing that go ahead and cycle your newly redone 5 gallon. This will give it plenty of time to acclimate and get your water perimeters in check. If you don't have any yet, try to look for some Top Fin Bacteria Supplement or API Quick Start, even though your tank should be fine with everything at the end of the week, either of those (or both) will help the tanks water straighten out quickly and make it safe for your fishy.

After a week you can put 2 cap fulls of the stress coat in the 5 gallon and let it sit like that for about 20 minutes then you can place your new Betta in the tank. Make sure he's got plenty of places to hide and explore. My Bettas love those floating Betta logs and the Marimo Moss Balls. If you happen to buy one of the moss balls you'll want to get it around the same time as your new fish because they need to be quarantined for a week as well, but in untreated tap water, just so they don't carry any diseases or little critters into your new clean tank.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

+ 1 to Cheese, expect for the Quickstart and Bacteria stuff. Don't waste your money.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Agreed. I have a bottle of "bacterial suppliment" aaaand what a waste. It didn't even have instructions on it! And it ended up killing everything -.- "add bacterial suppliment and add fish three days after." DON'T DO IT D:

I just use the messy method of fish food xD

Actually I think I threw it out too...
Old 05-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #20 
SamJustice

aw. My first two barely made it three days.
If they've been there for a while, chances are theyre weak and sick. ;-;
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote