Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #1 
jack2

Bad Case of fin Rot

Hi,
I have had my fish for about two months and he had fin rot ever since i got him! it is getting really bad and i have tried everything. I have done lots of water changes, aquarium salt, betta fix, a fungus treatment and i have no idea what i can do. it is eating away at both fins and his tail. I dont know the water parameters. could that be causing the fin rot?
(i am treating him in a QT half gallon heated tank)
Thanks

Housing
What size is your tank? 6 G
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Neutrafin Betta Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? AQ, bettafix, water changes, fugal cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes
How old is your fish (approximately)? 5 months
jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #2 
sh29

my betta is 2 plus months old and just this week his fins look like they are getting scraggly looking and i havent changed a thing
sh29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #3 
jack2

So it could be natural? He has the black tips so I think it is fun rot
Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #4 
sh29

I'm not sure. Mine has like a grey scab or scar on his head to and pieces missing from his fins
Old 05-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #5 
ZackyBear

Could you try to get some pictures? In the meantime I would give his tank a 100% water change :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #6 
sh29

Just changed the water last week and cleaned it all
Old 05-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #7 
jack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
Could you try to get some pictures? In the meantime I would give his tank a 100% water change :o
I have done a few 100%. one yesterday and nothing is helping? im very confused
And i dont have a good enough camera for a photo maybe i could borrow a friends
Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #8 
TheCheese909

@sh29 if your fish is ill and you want to know how to teat him please make another thread and answer the questions found in the thread labeled "Sticky: Please answer as many of these questions as you can when seeking help".

@jack2 (this is how i've treated my fish in the past for fin rot) I would get him some Maracyn 2 and some Maracide. In a 1 gallon tank you're going to want to put just a small amount of the powder (Maracyn 2) and half a cap full of Maracide. If you can get a bubbler and a valve for your bubbler. The valve is so that the tank doesn't get too bubbly and toss your fish around and the bubbler is so that no bacteria can set in at the top of the tank.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 AM   #9 
jack2

Photo

Here is the best photo i could get. He now has holes and a slash looking thing closer to the body
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #10 
MollyJean

jack2 you can treat fin rot with aquarium salt very easily, but if you don't finish the treatment it will creep back up. You need to treat him every day for 7-10 days. This means changing all the water and adding new salt every day.

Take a small amount of tank water and add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water. Dissolve the salt in the water the best you can. (I warm up the water, dissolve the salt, then wait for it to cool down to put in the tank.) Add it to the hospital tank. Remember that the salt crystals can harm your fish if left solid in the water. You need to do this every day. New water and new salt every single day for 7-10 days. It'll clear up the rot and start to heal his fins. Don't use it more then 10 days, long term exposure to aquarium salt can damage their laberynth organ.

If your 6 gallon tank cycled? If you can clean it up really good while he's out of it, it'll help with the rot even more. As for what causes it.. it can be any number of things. Water conditions, stress, a plant or decoration. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but if you really have no idea, I would up the water changes a little (Maybe change a little more water each time) and check his tank over to anything that's growing and shouldn't be. Look for plastic plants with sharp edges. If you're unsure about a plant, run it over a pair of pantyhose and if it catches, it's not safe. You can add stress coat to the tank to help heal any wounds he gets and prevent more.

He doesn't look really bad, so some TLC will go a long way. :) Good luck, and more pictures, please! *is addicted to pictures*

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-23-2012 at 06:17 AM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote