Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #1 
Hodor

My crowntail betta's spikes are disappearing/being shredded off?

:/

Housing
What size is your tank?
--10 gallon
What temperature is your tank?
--82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
--Yes AquaClear 30 (baffled) **might be culprit??**
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
--No
Is your tank heated?
--Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
--3 male platies

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
--BettaMin, Omega One bloodworms. He is offered Omega One pellets but refuses anything but flakes or worms. He also sometimes steals my platies regular tropical flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
--2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
--For the first month he was in there, 5x a week... Fish-in cycling :/ ...As of last friday though, it's definitely cycled based on water tests, so I'm doing weekly changes now.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
--25-40% probably
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
--Seachem Prime. My plants also get Flourish Excel daily and API Leaf Zone 1x a week.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (don't know how this is, but I have A LOT of plants)
pH: 8.0
Hardness: don't know
Alkalinity: don't know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
--Last monday when I came back for the weekend, he was missing 2 fin spikes. (He's a crowntail) Today when I got back for the weekend, he's missing 2 or three more, and one of them looks red or bloody?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
--Hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
--Last week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
--No
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
--Yes, I've been battling ich in my tank for the last 2 and half weeks. It's been clear since last wednesday, but I've kept the water temperature up still, and there is still 7 teaspoons of AQ salt in it.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
--Got him April 24th? I think.

So my betta's fins are getting torn to pieces and I don't know how or why. :(
My filter intake is not covered with a sponge or anything, but I don't really see him anywhere near there. It doesn't look like fin rot to me, it looks more, idk violent? My platies don't ever go near him, so I don't think it's them. I do have A LOT of live plants in there: Water Sprite (his "spot" ... also my water sprite is huge and spiky and he kinda gets caught it in, but he loves swimming through it --- I'm not sure if it's rough enough to rip his fins though), I also have Anacharis, Hornwort, a HUGE Anubias embedded in driftwood, Moneywort, and 2 amazon swords. I also have 2 silk plants that I might take out.

My question is... there's already salt in the tank and should I leave it in until his fins go back to normal? Should I cover the filter intake with a sponge? Does that decrease its effectiveness? Any other medicines I could give him? Should I up the salt (7 tsp currently in a 10g)? I never see him biting his tail and he has tank friends to keep him from being bored, but could that be it? I don't really know much about tail biting.

I'd absolutely hate to take the water sprite out, since he loves it and it looks so nice in my tank, but I will if I have to. I'm not even sure it's the plant though.
Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Ijust skimmed through...

Platys. If a betta doesn't stand up to them, and isn't much of a threat to them their flowy fins tend to be chewed off! Or he could be his own culprit and be biting his own fins!!

Does everyone have ich, or just the platys/betta?

I've never heard of water sprites so can't help you there! But, some plants do not do good with salt so you probably should remove it to it's own quaratine.

When the fin looks bloody, it's usually a good sign of biting. I've rarely seen bloody fins when it tears, only when it's been bitten! If it stays red, it is probably an infection called Septicemia, and is caused from bad water quality.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #3 
Hodor

Thank you for your reply!

The platies are very peaceful and IMO pose no threat to the betta, he chases them out of his territory if he's in a bad mood, and if he's feeling nice, he hangs out with them sometimes. I've never seen the platies go after him though, they sorta just wander near him and swim away if the betta gets testy.

All of my fish had ich. It stated in my smallest platy, and then shortly after everyone got it. I also had 3 cories in there, who all promptly died when I used ich guard at first. (even at half dose :S) I stopped with the ich guard after all my cories died and did many water changes and then switched to the salt + high temperature method.

If he is biting himself, I'm not sure why. :( He has a lot of room to swim and other fish to play with and lots of plants to swim through.

Does anyone know if indian almond leaves could make him stop biting?

Also, I don't think it's water quality, I use the API master test kit and followed the instructions perfectly and my parameters were perfect except my PH is higher than I'd like. But that's something that I can't change.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

The only way to stop biting is to find out the cause of it. It can be because he is angry, stressed, bored or just because he can.

If its out of boredom - try adding a new plant or something he can play with - some people use ping pong balls or the betta leg sold in stores.

If its cause the other fish are stressing him out - you would need to remove one or the other or maybe divide the tank?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Stress: the other fish.
Illness: He does have ich - some bettas bite when they have parasites, or even rot.

Boredom: I like to rearrange decor. This gives them the desire to explore their "new" territory.

heavy fins: bettas with heavy flowy fins will trim them back.

just because: sometimes you get the ones who do it "just cuz". :p

Just to make sure, you do pre-dissolve the salt first right?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 
xShainax

Platies are notorious fin nippers.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 
Hodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Stress: the other fish.
Illness: He does have ich - some bettas bite when they have parasites, or even rot.

Boredom: I like to rearrange decor. This gives them the desire to explore their "new" territory.

heavy fins: bettas with heavy flowy fins will trim them back.

just because: sometimes you get the ones who do it "just cuz". :p

Just to make sure, you do pre-dissolve the salt first right?
That makes a lot of sense that he would bite himself if he were itchy.

Yes, I dissolved the salt first. :)

I also got a pre-filter sponge today on the way home from work, just in case he's been battling the filter intake while I wasn't looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
Platies are notorious fin nippers.
Not from what I've read/experienced. I know tetras and danios are notorious nippers and maybe guppies can get nippy, but I've never seen or had a platy that nipped. My boyfriend also has a community tank with many platies and mollies and a huge angelfish with long fins, and they've never ever tried to go for the angel's fins. My platies never chase or nip at my betta. They chase each other around occasionally, but mostly they just swim around happily with each other. I've always thought platies were wonderful, peaceful fish.

Anyway, I'll try to think of more entertainment for my betta. I've heard of using ping pong balls or plastic bottle caps. Maybe I can get him the betta log thing. I just hope he gets better! I've grown pretty attached to him.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #8 
xShainax

UGH, at least you never experienced mollies with betta's -.-
Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #9 
Hodor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
UGH, at least you never experienced mollies with betta's -.-
Mollies are kinda jerks. I don't have any but my boyfriend does in his community tank. They have no fear of his angelfish who is 7x their size. He regrets getting them, they're kinda aggressive and pushy towards all the other fish, but not nippy. Just annoying and in-your-face lol. Also they got HUGE really fast and eat like pigs. They'll take food right out of the angelfish's mouth.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 PM   #10 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodor View Post
Mollies are kinda jerks. I don't have any but my boyfriend does in his community tank. They have no fear of his angelfish who is 7x their size. He regrets getting them, they're kinda aggressive and pushy towards all the other fish, but not nippy. Just annoying and in-your-face lol. Also they got HUGE really fast and eat like pigs. They'll take food right out of the angelfish's mouth.
My creamsicle lyretail molly always bullied my VT, so did my black molly