Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #1 
Keroro

Exclamation Feeding too much or should I worry?

Hi everyone, it's me again :)

I tried finding a similar topic on here but perhaps I didn't lurk hard enough--I'm curious as to whether or not I am feeding my betta too much or if there might be some *knocks on wood* early onset dropsy *knocks on wood*

Lucky for me he is not a picky eater, he eats the following (soaked pellets, flakes, freeze dried bloodworms) and gets the following combinations for a 4 day period:
  • Three pellets
  • Two pellets and two flakes
  • Two flakes and a blood worm
  • Two flakes (to give his system a rest)

I've noticed when he eats his tummy obviously gets a little bloated from being full. But what size should be considered worrying? Another thing to consider is that he is rather small for a male. Here is a picture of him taken today:

thank you all for your advice!

EDIT: Now he is twisting/shaking his head rapidly while bubbling air... he's fine now but still worrying

Last edited by Keroro; 05-21-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: new event..
Keroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #2 
lelei

Is is 3 pellets at a time, or 3 a day, one at a time, are they micro pellets, or reg size?..he looks fine to me, I am not an expert in fish disease, but if you see poop then I would say ok, but if not, maybe he is constipated, I have been hearing bloodworms, if freezedried, expand, and tend to cause that..you should check with OFL (old fish lady) she is well educated in these things, I been reading her posts, good luck..Hopeall turns out well..:) If you P/M her she would most likely respond.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 
teeneythebetta

Aww I think he's okay. Just soak the pellets before giving them to him, that way they don't expand IN his stomach. :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Could you give a little more specific feeding schedule? Does he only get three pellets a day? A meal? What size are the pellets? What brand?

Actually soaking pellets before giving them to him will leech the minerals and nutrients that are in them. For this reason, I don't soak my pellets. I have the NLS pellets that are rather small, so I feed my boys 4 pellets in a sitting. I have never had problems with bloat or swim bladder disorder.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #5 
Keroro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Could you give a little more specific feeding schedule? Does he only get three pellets a day? A meal? What size are the pellets? What brand?

Actually soaking pellets before giving them to him will leech the minerals and nutrients that are in them. For this reason, I don't soak my pellets. I have the NLS pellets that are rather small, so I feed my boys 4 pellets in a sitting. I have never had problems with bloat or swim bladder disorder.
He gets it all at once, one time a day (in the morning). It usually goes day by day like pellets --> pellets and flakes --> flakes and worm --> etc etc. I make note not to give him a worm more than twice a week, usually only once, because they're freeze dried.

Is that specific enough? I'll go into more detail if needed :)
Keroro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

That sounds like way too much. He should get something like 3 pellets in the morning and evening (or a substitution of flakes). Bloodworms should only be used as a treat (especially the freeze-dried ones). Unless you're more comfortable with a once a day feeding, I would split the feedings into morning and evening.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Fish absorb nutrients better in smaller feedings. So instead of feeding him once a day, split them up. Feed 2 pellets in the morning and 2 in the evening. Feed the flakes in the morning and pellets in the evening. I would skip out on the blood worms weekly unless they are frozen. I would also get rid of the flakes. Due to the nature of flakes they will always be less nutritious than pellets, and I avoid them where I can. Have the pellets as a staple diet and give flakes or freeze-dried blood worms as a treat.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #8 
jeffegg2

Cool

Just make sure he is eating it and it is not laying on the bottom and he should be fine...

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote