Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 
Alcemistnv

3 bettas in college?

I've been bit by the betta bug, and I'd LOVE to have another one before going back to college in August. I do know that the Petsmart by me occassionally has Half Moon and Crown Tails, but I don't know whether I should get a betta from there or from Aquabid. I'm absolutely in LOVE with some of my finds on Aquabid.

Also, I need to invest in a 10 gallon, but there is a chance that I won't be able to get one YET, and I will have to stick with putting the betta in the other tank I have in storage right now (it's a 2 gallon, like Buddha's except it is a rectangle).

My mom also might buy me another tank depending on the price, so I can get a 5 gallon as long as it's able to be divided. Knowing that bettas are hardy (and also that I will have a roommate who will be at school 90% of the time), I won't be bringing the fish back and forth with me unless it is summer/winter break. Last year I brought Buddha back with me every time. -.-

I could also use the 2 gallon Buddha has and put a 3rd betta in there. Altogether that comes out to 7 gallons (if I get a 5) so I'm still okay with the Student Housing Rules for my college.

Would it be smart to have a 5 gallon and a 2 gallon, or just a 10 gallon and maybe split it into 3? I'm not getting any other fish or snails, only bettas so they would be the only living things in the tank.

I still have 3 months, so my mind might change, but I was hoping I could get some advice from experienced betta owners :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #2 
Micho

I would say it would be smart just to get a 10g and split it into three, less hassle this way. And keep the 2g tanks that you have now so it'll be easier on you to transport them when you go back home during breaks.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 
ZubinBetta

Pardon me if this sounds simple-minded, but doesn't dividing a tank to house several fishes mean that pathogens have a pretty clear path from one fish to another? If you obtain bettas from Aquabid or PetSmart, won't you want to be able to quarantine them as they arrive? And--when is it "safe" to put them in the divided tank?
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #4 
Micho

He can simply quarantine that one Betta while he puts the other two in the 10 gallon first. But really the only fish you need to quarantine are the ones from pet stores, if you're buying from a good breeder on Aquabid you probably don't have to QT them since they come from good homes.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #5 
Alcemistnv

I just talked to my mom and it's highly probably that I won't be getting the 10 gallon or the 5 gallon, but we are keeping the tank we have now for traveling purposes.

However, I'm going to see if I can either A. Get a tank from a friend or B. Wait til I have enough money saved, and get another 2 or 3 gallon tank for betta #2. I'm going to stick to 2 for now since that's the best choice right now IMO.

And I REALLY want to get one from Aquabid! D8
Been surfing the site.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #6 
viviandponyo

Sorry that this doesnt relate to the question but I'm new here and I cant figure out how to post anything.. help?
viviandponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #7 
Creat

Aquabid is addicting I would suggest craiglist for tanks. I have gotten tanks for free cause they were cracked and I just spent 5$ on aquarium sealant to fix it. You can clean them really well (sometimes I used bleach and rinse very very well). I took my betta into the dorms in college, I would do either divided tank which is difficult, at least for me, to filter properly or do a sorority :) I had a ten gal sorrority and 5 males in jars lol cause jars didnt count :P

And click on the the topic area say betta care and at the top of the page there is a start new thread button :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

Vivi, I think you just found out xD

And I meant Aquabid for the bettas, not the tanks, I'm sorry about that haha

My mom is going to take me to Petsmart sometime soon so we can go shopping for the dogs, so I'm going to drag her into the tank section ;)

But it's nice to know that the jars don't count haha
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #9 
viviandponyo

haha, I mean posting threads of my own! but nevermind.. a bit of exploring always does the trick! ;)
viviandponyo is offline   Reply With Quote