Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #1 
Duskhorse

Female Betta Emergency

I've recently purchased two female bettas to accompany my male, Casanova. I also bought some Hornwort. I know Hornwort has been recommended for Bettas, but, every time I look in the tank, my black female Opal is tangled in the Hornwort. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Duskhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 
MollyJean

Psychically tangled, as in she needs help to get out? Or just playing in it? She might just really like it and want to be in it. But if she's just sitting in it I wouldn't stress too much. If it's getting stuck to her and she's having problems getting away from it, remove it and find something else to put in her tank.

I'm curious, I can't help it.. you don't have these fish all in the same tank, do you?
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #3 
Duskhorse

Alright, i'll keep a close eye on her, thank you C:
And yeah, always have done for about 2 or 3 years of owning Betta fish. Why, does that normally cause problems?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #4 
MollyJean

Yes, it can cause serious problems. two (and 3) bettas should never be kept together. Males are highly aggressive, and can kill females without any warning, and females fight between themselves unless they have a large group, called a sorority, where a pecking order can be established.

Some people do keep genders together, but these are who people either have a LOT of knowledge and have planned their tanks very well, or have been very lucky they haven't lost a fish. I would suggest removing your two females and finding them each their own tank. Not only will this prevent a fight that could kill one of your fish, it will make your fish much happier. Without the stress and irritation of aggressive fish around, your betta are going to develop stronger personalities, be less likely to fall ill and have longer, fuller lives. A betta can live 5 or 6 years in good conditions. Sometimes longer. Keeping them stress free is part of these conditions.

I really don't want to sound like I'm lecturing, I just want your fish to be healthy and happy, and you'll enjoy them more if they're split up. They won't be as skiddish or shy in their own tanks. :)

You might want to look at this

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29402

and possibly set up a sorority for your girls, but you'll need more then 2. This is the best way to keep multiple betta in one tank.. but only girls!

As for the boy, he's happy alone, don't worry about him getting lonely. If his tank is large enough (5 gallons) you can get a mystery snail or some glass shrimp.. if it's too small (the smallest a betta should be in is 2.5 gallons, and that's pushing it) then he's better off alone.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #5 
Duskhorse

Ah no don't worry about sound like you're lecturing! It's a massive help :3
I'm very short on funds is my only problem. Would they be comfortable if I split the tank that they are in for the mean time? I've seen people set up barracks for their Bettas and that seems to work :3
Old 05-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #6 
MollyJean

How big is your tank?

There are other options for temporary housing, but they'll have to be cleaned often.

I'm very glad you're willing to listen. Some people get pretty mad when we give advice like this. Honestly, everyone here loves betta fish and it's great when someone comes along who has the fish's interest at heart!
Old 05-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #7 
Duskhorse

It's a 9L tank, so not too large but they look very comfortable in it. My mum ( a pro tropical fish keeper) has had more numbers of bigger fish in a smaller tank so it seems perfect in terms of size.
And, I sure do :)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #8 
MollyJean

Alright that's not a bad size for 1 fish, but that is all. No snails, no shrimp. And it should have regular water changes. 2 a week, a 50% and a 100%. It's about the smallest tank a single betta is happy in. But adding 2 girls to that is asking for trouble.

If you're short on money, you might want to take the two girls back to the store and get a refund, but there are other options. Temporary housing can be anything sitting around the house, a mixing bowl, a Rubbermaid container or large flower pot (without holes of course). You need to clean whatever you use thoroughly with hot water and vinegar, no bleach, and rinse it out so nothing is left in it that can hurt your fish. These conditions will have to be watched closely and the water will need to be changed often, so the ammonia doesn't build up.

You'll have to find a decent tank for each of them soon, though. Check Ebay, Craigslist or flea markets, ask your friends and see if your mother will help. A 10 gallon tank can be split in half or into 3 sections to hold more then one fish, so you might want to look for one of those.

And it's good you know they are tropical, and need warm water. You'll have to keep the girl's water warm somehow.

Every fish is different. Some are fine in small spaces, some need lots of room. Betta do best in more space and alone. A small tank with 3 betta fish is like.. well like a guy living in a closet with his mother-in-law and a divorce lawyer.. there's bound to be trouble.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 AM   #9 
Duskhorse

Alright, that sounds feasible to me C: Thank you very much for your help and time! It must be frustrating to deal with people like me xD I'll do my very best to keep my fish happy :) Thank you!

Tags
emergency, female betta, floating plants, help confused, tangled