Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #1 
ewhyde

Exclamation Help...Betta Going Downhill

I am really worried about my betta fish Brutus. I moved about 4 days ago and got him set up in his 2 gallon, his light was broken. I didn't think it would be an issue. However, when I checked his water yesterday it was cold, I moved him into a smaller tank (1.5 gallon) with a working light. It was a 100% water change, but I used about 200 ml of water from my other bettas tank (he was set up at the new location and healthy) I used aqueon water conditioner. I stepped his temp up so that he wouldn't go into shock.

However, since I took him out of the other tank he has been barely moving(only really swims when he gets startled). His operculum are moving really quickly and he is either laying on the bottom of the tank or on one of his plants. He look like he is gasping for air. (no bloat) (no spots)

Water is roughly 77.6 degrees F.

I thought their may be some gill damage from the move from build-up of ammonia in his transfer cup. so I put some API BettaFix in hope that it might help.

I love this little guy! Help me

-I can send a video from my phone to anyone who wants to see exactly what I am talking about

Last edited by ewhyde; 05-19-2012 at 05:40 PM.
ewhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

bettafix won't really help... I avoid it because this fish has the labrynth organ which can be damaged.

Anyways, what did the tank house before? did you clean it? what was it cleaned with?

Also I suggest a heater as though a light is good, during the night they shouldn't have a light on, and the water temperature can drop drastically - I would know. I have an 80, 40, three 20s, three 10s, and ones under 3 gallons. The temperature can drop pretty bad! Temperature fluctuations can cause stress and/or sickness.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #3 
ewhyde

This is a spare tank that I had. I used hot water to clean it and plants from before.

I didn't think you can put a heater in such a small tank (even without the light on it only drops 3 degrees because we keep the house the same.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Well, with 2 gallons you can get away with a 25 watt, which is what I have and it heats my 2 gallons to about....77-78. But you would absolutely need to keep an eye on it...which to me is what you should do anyways :p

Are his fins clamped?
What color are his gills?
Anything else but gasping?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #5 
ewhyde

The inside of his gills are orange-red, he looks pretty similar to the fish in your profile picture, if that helps (I don't know what clamped fins looks like). he seems pretty lethargic. He is also sort of grey on the underbelly and having trouble righting himself.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

How does his poo look? has he been pooping?

The reddish orange, like my double tail's fins, is not a good color. He could be suffering from ammonia... hence the gasping. Try doing a mass water change today, adding only the conditioner.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #7 
ewhyde

I don't think he has, I haven't seen him pooping.

Do I need to worry about recycling any of the water?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

The grey belly could be a sign of stress in his tummy.

Do you have 100% epsom salt? The human variety is good as long as it is frgrance free...

pre-dissolve epsom salt in water prior to adding. Make sure to add conditioner, and treat like a water change when adding this water! 1 teaspoon to start, and you can up it to 3 teaspoons. This will help him pass. Do for 10 days, or until he gets better, finishing it a couple days after he is normal. A water change each day will be needed, and replacement of the salt you took out during those water changes needs to be added.

I would scoop him with a cup with his water, add the water, acclimate him as if he were new, adding a little water to his cup at a time. this gets him accustomed to the salt.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 
ewhyde

Ok, I did the water change and did the epsom salt

you said I will need to do a water change daily. Is that an 80% water change?

Last edited by ewhyde; 05-19-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

You can do an 80-100% ater change daily, doing an 80 and leaving the fish in is less stressful