Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Fin rip, random slash

Today I noticed Omelette has a slit in his "belly fin" (I don't know what it's called!)... As far as I'm concerned, the water quality isn't bad. I change 40% of the water every 3-4 days. The last time I changed it was on Saturday. The water quality is alright (I only have an ammonia test kit...the ammonia is at 0), and there is very little algae growing in the tank, which I'm assuming means the nitrates are low (?). Right now there's plenty of anacharis in the tank. There's also a silk plant, and 2 other fake plastic plants.
The plants sticking out of the mug handle seem a bit rough (not sharp though) so it might've caused a split in the fin. Unless I have bad water quality and I don't know
But yes, I just noticed it today.
Should I quarantine him? The salt used to heal the rip would probably hurt the plants and the ghost shrimp tankmate, right?
That was the clearest picture I could get because Omelette was very excited (it was easier to see when he was flaring) and was moving around a lot. Also there was very low light.
Attached Images

PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #2 
ZackyBear

A rip like that can be caused either by flaring too much or one of the plants. What I read is that if you run a stocking (pantyhose thing) over the plant and it gets caught anywhere, then it's too sharp for betta fins :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #3 
laoshun

Those kinds of rips are easily repaired the next day if your water quality is good and your betta is healthy. No Need to do AQ salt treatments
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #4 
PaintingPintos

Thanks! I found out that pantyhose DID rip when I ran it over the plants. A good catch for me because it could've hurt the fish even more later on.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote