Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #1 
Kawaii

I'm not sure what this is....

So I bought my betta fish about a week ago, and recently I noticed that he had cloudy eye and a bit of ick-like stuff on certain parts of his body. His right gill is enflamed and had some white stuff going in and out of it as he was taking in the water.

I went to a local pet store and bought Aquarium Solutions Betta Revive, which cures fungal, bacterial and protozoan diseases. It seems to be working - my betta's cloudy eye seems less cloudy, the icky-like stuff has seemingly gone away, and that weird white stuff in his gill fell out while I watched. I've done this treatment for 3 days now, doing 100% water changes to ensure that whatever parasite it was is out of my tank.

He's still acting strangely - he's lethargic, motionless (unless I tap the glass), and either sinks to the bottom of tank or stays on top to breathe.

Has this happened to any of you? Does anyone know what this is, or could give me advice? I've been using this website - http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm - to help detect the problem, but other than ick and cloudy eye I'm not too sure what my betta fish has.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #2 
Bladezero

What size is his aquarium?
Heated?
Filtered?

As far as I know Ich should be treated for 14 days to make sure nothing survived.. second round won't be so easy to beat.

A picture would really help..

After you answer the 3 above and add a picture we could rule out some stuff..

Waiting for an update from you :)
Bladezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
Kawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezero View Post
What size is his aquarium?
Heated?
Filtered?

As far as I know Ich should be treated for 14 days to make sure nothing survived.. second round won't be so easy to beat.

A picture would really help..

After you answer the 3 above and add a picture we could rule out some stuff..

Waiting for an update from you :)
His tank is 1.5 gallons, it has a small heater for it, but it is not filtered.
I did some more research on this website, and instead of ich, the growths look more like fungal infections.

I'm providing two pictures, one with flash, one without for you to look at. Since the Betta Revive, the eye seems to be clearing up a bit, and like I said before, that weird growth inside his gill also fell out, but the gill remains a bit swollen.
BTW< sorry for bad picture quality, I took them with my iPhone just now.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #4 
Bladezero

Can't really see the fungle or anything on him but if IT IS fungle then lower the temp to around 76f, fungle strives on heat. Still kind of warm but your betta will still be fairly comfortable in that temp.

About the treatment if the meds are working then great, might need to consider a second dose(according to what the meds say about using a second dose) if you see it wasn't enough.

Btw, he just sits all day at the same spot or moves around some(not when you call him)?

But it sounds like your on the right track to healing him, keep his water extra clean and see if whatever he has gets better or worse. on that decide if to do a second dose or change treatment :)

Last edited by Bladezero; 05-27-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 
Kawaii

I have noticed him moving around a little bit more than before. But generally he sits in the same spot. He goes down to the botton then comes up for air. Sometimes he swims around, but I think it might be because I accidentally disturb him (he sits on my desk).

I'm just a bit paranoid - I don't want to wake up one morning to a dead betta fish ;(

But thanks so much for your reply! I hope that the meds will work.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #6 
Bladezero

Get him a small cave(lol tried to take a picture of a toy I used as a cave for one of mine but for some reason he gets scared s**tless when he sees my iphone)

Anyway betta LOVE caves and hiding spots and tunnels.. He might just be bored :)
Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #7 
Kawaii

Exclamation

Well I've done the medication for 4 days, and the recommended is 3 days. But he still seems to have a bit of cloudy eye left, so should I continue the treatment until the full 7 days, or should I stop to prevent harming him?

I'm worried that if I stop treatment too early, my betta fish might get that fungal or protozoan disease back, only this time they might be immune!
Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #8 
Bladezero

How is he acting? and hows his breathing?

"full treatment" with that medicine is 3 or 7 days?

usually they come with instructions about second dose, most meds got a few days resting before new dose is applied..
Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #9 
Kawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezero View Post
How is he acting? and hows his breathing?

"full treatment" with that medicine is 3 or 7 days?

usually they come with instructions about second dose, most meds got a few days resting before new dose is applied..
The full treatment is 7 days, but they recommended 3. And it doesn't say anything about a second dose. :(
Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #10 
Bladezero

Do the full treatment :)

I'm guessing the second dose is same as other meds of that "caliber" one week rest between doses. But I wouldn't do a second dose it didn't work.. I'd take something stronger :)