Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

short stringy, ball shaped brown is normal. Just want to make sure it not white or clear.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Take out all decorations, gravel (everything ) I will tell you what to do with it.
Do you have live plants?
Tank that he was in before I will write for you what to do.

You can pre mix water and salt and of course water conditioner in one gall. You can take a gall from the water. Even from milk just please rinse it with water well.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #13 
viyahn

I gave him some java moss but took it out when it kept getting caught in the filter. Right now there are no live plants.

Nope, not white or clear! Pale brown stringy poop.

With the AQ and water, should I treat the water with water conditioner before the AQ salt or can I do it at the same time with no problem?
viyahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

The same time fine. It doesn't really matter. Shake it well, make sure it dissolve. May be let it stay for 10 min before you going to use it.

But when you do daily water changes make sure new water is the same temperature as he already in.
Let me know if you need help on it.

Also when you change his water every 24 hr rinse the heater and thermometer
Old 05-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #15 
viyahn

I will, thanks very much for all your help. <3 I'll post updates to let you know how he is doing. For now, I have to go to the store and get AQ salt!
Old 05-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #16 
ANHEL123

Keep everything from his tank out. I will let you know what to do with it. I hope we caught those parasites in time and can get rid of them.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #17 
viyahn

Eros passed away, today. I guess I caught it to late.

Thanks for your help, Anhel. I only hope I can take away enough experience from this that I never have to lose a fish to it again.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

so sorry. I was hoping he will survive. I have exactly the same cellophane betta . It was difficult to diagnosed from beginning though. I guess it too late since he sick from 2 weeks ago. But who new what it is....Not your fault. We all learning. And his parasites were different than the other people who i spoke to.

How is your other betta doing? Did you share between them anything? Net or containers when you change the water?

I actually texted Oldfishlady about you. Oldfishlady the one who everyone learned from about all those natural remedies. I still want to post for you and anyone who will see what she wrote me back.

You knowFresh crushed garlic taken by mouth in large enough amounts several times a day can also help both internal and external parasites but it can take about 6 weeks to be effective

For external parasites=this depends on what kind it is....sometimes the salt will not do anything for some external parasites-some have to be manually removed-the salt is usually used for secondary infection from the wound left by the parasite when they detach.

Natural treatment can be effective and often better for the fish, us and the environment, however, with some ailments it can be too late even for OTC...it never huts to try-but it is important to know what you are treating, understand the life cycle of the parasites when treating to be most effective.

You also need to rule out the environment and husbandry as a cause.....

Treatments are not always cut and dry or one size fits all........

Be careful with the products that have aloe vera-this can cause gill issues from build up.

I know Oldfishlady does homemade food for bettas.

If you share anything between Eros and other betta i would advice to try soak pellet that you feed your other betta soak in garlic juice just in case. See if he likes it.
I also wondering how Eros got those pirisites. The water is clean.I do the same water changes.

The only one think when i take care of my bettas i don't tuch anything. Even fosits . I always wash my hands and than rince under the water for a minat and than i don't tuch anything. I have no idia if it even matter thogh,
Old 05-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Anything outside the tank transfering (especially open top tanks), cross-contamination, somethng the fish had prior to buying...anything and everything can be a factor. I had a cellophone like that but he never got that "dirt" look under/on his scales. I've never actually seen parasites/illnesses like this, to be honest.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote