Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Flea/tick meds and aquariums

So I put some liquid flea and tick medication on my dog and I was wondering if it's safe to feed my fish after petting the dog, even after 24 hours....it says on the box that it is highly toxic to aquatic life and the dog shouldn't be allowed to go swimming for 12 Hours after application
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It could be risky especially in small volume tanks since it wouldn't be diluted.
I use the Frontline Plus for Xlarge dogs and split it up to treat all my cats (30cats & 4 dogs) every month and I had one of the cats fall in my 75gal tank the same day I put the drops on and it didn't cause any problems....but that was a 75gal tank.....
Not to mention all the cat hair that falls in my open top tank that has to have some of that product on it...never had issue.....

When I do my monthly flea treatment on all my animals I schedule it after I have done everything I need to do on the tanks...just to be safe....

If you have to do something with the tank/Betta...wash really good and rinse with vinegar or wear gloves or tap the fish food in a small container or the lid of the fish food-then add to the tank so you don't have to touch it-using a paper towel or something to hold the fish food container so not to touch that either.....just an idea.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Good question.. I need to use the Front Line on my dog tomorrow thanks OLF good ideas ! I am going to be extra careful !!!
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It could be risky especially in small volume tanks since it wouldn't be diluted.
I use the Frontline Plus for Xlarge dogs and split it up to treat all my cats (30cats & 4 dogs) every month and I had one of the cats fall in my 75gal tank the same day I put the drops on and it didn't cause any problems....but that was a 75gal tank.....
Not to mention all the cat hair that falls in my open top tank that has to have some of that product on it...never had issue.....

When I do my monthly flea treatment on all my animals I schedule it after I have done everything I need to do on the tanks...just to be safe....

If you have to do something with the tank/Betta...wash really good and rinse with vinegar or wear gloves or tap the fish food in a small container or the lid of the fish food-then add to the tank so you don't have to touch it-using a paper towel or something to hold the fish food container so not to touch that either.....just an idea.....
Well would still be an issue after 24 hours or a few days? I put it on him the day after my weekly water change...
Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Oh, and wouldn't be okay to wash my hands with hand soap and rinse really, really well? Or just rinse my hands in hot water for a long time before feeding or changing water?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #6 
tamikakes

PLEASE be very careful, anyone, who uses Hartz.

Please warn Pet Parents not to use Sargents or Hartz Flea & Tick - Hartz mountain, Sergeant's Gold Squeeze-on, Sentry Pro XFC, Triforce Canine Squeeeze - on. Dogs are getting chemical burns, cats are having seizures and stroke, as well as small dogs such as chihuahua's.
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #7 
TheCrabbyTabby

I only use Frontline and Interceptor for flea and tick treatments.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

I use sentry flea and tick
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

I wash my hand with soap and water before I work on my tanks....I don't worry about the small amount of soap residue that may be left on my hands.....even in my small tank.....never have had any issues......

And I agree tamikakes.....I had chemical burn issues with use of all the other spot on products....Frontline plus for dogs is all I will use on my dogs and cats (its cat safe too) even that generic that is supposed to be the same as frontline "PetArmor"...doesn't work...at least in my opinion.....
I buy my Frontline plus Xlarge 3 pack for under $40.00 on e-bay with free shipping....treats all my animals for 2 months....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-17-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I wash my hand with soap and water before I work on my tanks....I don't worry about the small amount of soap residue that may be left on my hands.....even in my small tank.....never have had any issues......

And I agree tamikakes.....I had chemical burn issues with use of all the other spot on products....Frontline plus for dogs is all I will use on my dogs and cats (its cat safe too) even that generic that is supposed to be the same as frontline "PetArmor"...doesn't work...at least in my opinion.....
I buy my Frontline plus Xlarge 3 pack for under $40.00 on e-bay with free shipping....treats all my animals for 2 months....
Thank you for helping me! I will just wash my hand with soap from now on :)