Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #1 
SamJustice

Few DIY questions

So. I'm going to make some DIY decorations for my soon-to-have 10 gal.
But, I have a few questions:
Are plastic beads and buttons safe to put in an aquarium?
How about metal and glass?
Or coral and wood beads?
Shell and pearl?
Abalone and gemstones?
Faux fruit? (this is plainly out of curiosity. I will NOT put a banana in my tank. lol)
Polymer clay? Silicone clay? Sculpey® clay? glazes? acrylic paint? other paints?
Ceramic? Resin?

Last edited by SamJustice; 05-21-2012 at 09:03 PM.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #2 
Creat

My rule of thumb if I can boil it for 30 min and nothing happens its fine. However I have had plastic beads wear off color flakes into the water but on that same note I have had cheap gravel do the same. I would stay away from metal and wood. Metal can be corrosive and wood is usually treated. I use rocks I find in field boil them and walah! I do not want to spend 30$ on a rock in a pet store.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #3 
SamJustice

AMEN!
My grandma lives across from a cliff. Rocks? Rocks? I've got them in SPADES. My uncle built a pond entirely out of rocks from over across the street. lol.
Also built some flowerbeds and whatnot. lol.

And I'm picking up most of it from the Dollar Tree (everything = 1 dollar!).
A couple of things from Michaels and possibly Jo-Anns.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #4 
SamJustice

Also. Fabrics?
Foam and felt?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #5 
Creat

Fabrics and felt I would worry about the dye.. any sort of thing that could leach into the water is deadly.. I lost a male once to glue that dissolved coming off a decoration. Foam not to worried betta breed under styrofoam cups :)
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #6 
SamJustice

yeah, but there's people that use silk plants, they let them soak for a while... o.0
Old 05-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #7 
MollyJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamJustice View Post
So. I'm going to make some DIY decorations for my soon-to-have 10 gal.
But, I have a few questions:

Are plastic beads and buttons safe to put in an aquarium? As long as they aren't able to be swallowed. If they're just laying around, make sure they're not tiny! And not sharp. Try to get ones that are simply pressed plastic and not painted. Boil them in water and if you want to be extra thorough, add aquarium salt or vinegar.

How about metal and glass? Stay away from metal unless it's stainless steel. Like putting stainless steel bolts in driftwood. Pretty much everything else will rust and/or leech harmful elements. Glass is fine though :) Make sure it doesn't have paint on it that can be toxic and like everything else, clean it and check for sharp edges.

Or coral and wood beads? Coral.. I'm not sure about, but know people who have used dead coral pieces in freshwater tanks.Though I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe someone else knows? Wood is a bad idea, unless it's driftwood. Most wood is treated with cimicals and wood beads are sealed in cimicals that might be harmful. As they soak up water they'll release whatever they've been treated with.

Shell and pearl? I've used shell, but it can change your PH. Pearl as well, but this is very small changes, so one pearl or shell should be OK. I wouldn't go past that. :( Of course you can get stones and glass carved into shell shapes :)

Abalone and gemstones? Abalone would be fine in a saltwater tank.. but not a freshwater. Too much chance of leeching salt. There might be a way to clean them, but I can't think of anything. Gemstones would be OK as long as they've been checked for edges and cleaned.

Faux fruit? (this is plainly out of curiosity. I will NOT put a banana in my tank. lol) Do you mean wax or plastic? Plastic would be OK.. as long as it's clean and doesn't have any parts that will come off and it's colored plastic and not painted.. but some is painted and that stuff always flakes, and if you've ever seen fake garlic or onions, they're very flaky. Wax is bad, by the way

Polymer clay? Silicone clay? Sculpey® clay? glazes? acrylic paint? other paints? There is aquarium grade sealant and marine-grade resin you can use to coat just about anything. If you want to use any paint at all, cover it with this when you're done. There are a lot of resourses on making your own clay decorations, just google it!

Ceramic? Resin? These are best for tanks, but still do better when sealed. And if it's something you buy, you should make sure it's clean and safe. Snag test and boiling, like everything else.
I love making my own decor for tanks. 95% of my decorations are home made or re-purposed. If your going to the dollar store, marbles and silk plants are fine. You should scrub the plants, removed any metal that's exposed (Or seal it over with aquarium sealant) and boil each piece before putting it in the tank. Make sure the colors don't bleed. If there are sharp plastic parts, cut them off or cut them smooth.

Do research before you try anything, don't take my word for any of it. And remember, if in doubt, leave it out. You should only use what you feel 120% comfortable exposing your beloved fish to.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #8 
SamJustice

Yeah. I'll probably make a bunch of caves out of like... smooth rock and glass and possibly plastic..
Would semi-precious like citrine and quartz and onyx and crystal be alright?
I love citrine and onyx. They're pretty. <3 and my favorites.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #9 
Kim

A few years back I did a lot of research on different crystals/stones that would be aquarium safe. I ended up throwing away the entire idea because other than pure quartz, most others carry the danger of leaching different minerals into the water with varying toxicities and side effects possible. Of course, I don't remember the specifics for each stone now, but my best advice would be to thoroughly research anything you plan on putting in the tank.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #10 
SamJustice

Alright. Just wanted to see if anyone on here would know. XD save me some time. XD