Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 
viviandponyo

Question Light in the tank?

So i had a hermit crab in a nicely sized tank but recently I have gotten 3 others and moved him into a huge tank with the others. My betta had been placed in a fish bowl and I would like to put him in a bigger tank so as he can be happier. I am wondering first of all whether or not it is safe to put my betta in the tank formerly used by the hermit crab if it is thoroughly washed and sanitized/cleaned out and whether or not I can keep the light that rests of top of the tank. I love my betta to the world's end and dont want to take any risks with him so as he is not injured or becomes sick. Thank you for your help!
viviandponyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 
kikitchi

You can put him in the tank if it's thoroughly cleaned, I'm actually doing the same and my Betta is fine ^^. About the light, is it just a regular aquarium light or a heat lamp type of light?
kikitchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1. If it is a heat lamp, don't use it. Invest in a submersible heater instead, as the heat lamp will cause too much temperature fluctuation. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #4 
Micho

First off what kind of tank is it? Plastic? I'm asking because of tanks cannot hold their weight with water, I would do a test first and fill it all the way up with water and check on it a day later, if you notice some cracks developing it's unsafe to house a fish in it. Although some plastic tanks can hold their weight with water, like Lee's Kritter Keepers.

Remember to not wash with soap, it'll leave a residue that's toxic to fish. You can wash the tank with hot water and vinegar. One part vinegar for every 9 parts of water. That'll get rid of anything nasty in there that's lurking. Also what kind of light? Like kikitchi asked, if it's a heat lamp I wouldn't recommend on using it as it may overheat the water, Bettas like tropical waters but really hot water will turn them into soup!

Hope that helps. :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #5 
viviandponyo

I cant tell whether or not its a heat lamp.. its kinda old cuz its been in storage a while but i think it was used for turtles maybe or fish... :/ also, do u think its safe for my betta to be in it or not because of the hermit crabs?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #6 
viviandponyo

um, ok. I dont know if its plastic but its really sturdy and has been around for a long time.. I dont know what to do becuase there is some type of sealant that feels almost rubbery around the sides/edges of the inside of the tank.. should I leave it alone?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 
kikitchi

Hmmm, maybe leave out the light right now. It will be safe for your Betta if you clean it out thoroughly.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #8 
viviandponyo

Thank you so much!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #9 
kikitchi

Glad to help (●・▽・●)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #10 
kikitchi

OH, and like Micho said, make sure it holds water.

Tags
betta fish, light, safety, tank