Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #1 
toydogs

My Petco baby betta

Last December, as I was looking for dog supplies at Petco, I stumbled upon baby bettas. I have never seen baby bettas for sale. Some of them are already dying from stress and/or sickness. I figured most of them will end up dying because sales people at Petco dosen't know anything about how to care for baby bettas. I decided to pick one up even though I have never owned betta fry. I looked through internet and came to this site for advice. He thrived but he was stunted and he never grew his ventral fins. 5 months later he is a happy healthy little guy despite of his condition.
Attached Images

toydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

aww am happy he grew :) but sadly he never got his ventrals :( btw he has a scale deformity too
i actually bought one too, but i have no idea of it's gender yet
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #3 
TheBlueBettaFish

Aww! Sushi is AH-dorable! Lovin the name too
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 
JailBreakLove

I bought a baby betta too, 2 of them actually, my friends say that they are growing sooo fast, of course I don't see it :P
Hope mine make it (:
JailBreakLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #5 
MoonShadow

He looks great! Gotta love growing them up from such a young age!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #6 
BettaBaited

Would you guys advise purchasing the baby bettas? As cute as they were I assumed that they were probably going to die... :(
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #7 
JailBreakLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBaited View Post
Would you guys advise purchasing the baby bettas? As cute as they were I assumed that they were probably going to die... :(
I've read everywhere that you shouldn't buy them from chain stores (i.e. petsmart, petco, walmart) apperently they don't last that long (Ppl were shocked to see that mine have survived past a month) Others say that they look for the egg spot and sell all the females and trick the lesser known public into buying them and telling them it's a surprise as to the gender.

I THINK I have a male and a female... but I'm not sure yet, as I am SUPER new to this... but if/when one of them dies I'm just ganna go out and buy an adult from a locally owned store (:
JailBreakLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

wow congrats you did an amazing job with him!!
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #9 
Twilight Storm

I just got a baby from Petco recently. I have not bred bettas yet so this is my first experience with any kind of fry. I don't know what sex my little one is either but someone in another thread said if they have long ventral fins it's probably a male. (Mine does, and that's disappointing because I am hoping for a girl. :D Time will tell as everyone says!)

Currently I am feeding my baby lightly crushed pellets instead of the tropical food they are selling by the babies in my Petco.. I am still surprised they are not selling New Life Spectrum Grow.... She is helping me clean up some weird white bugs on my java fern that seem to eat the plant. (win/win there.)

I've only had the baby a week so far but he/she is doing wonderfully for me. I have her trained to come to my fingers for food and she jumps up and bites my finger. The bowl is on my computer desk and she spends a lot of time watching me when i'm sitting here.

I have her in a half gallon bare bottom bowl with a tiny piece of driftwood with java fern on it, a cork with java moss tied onto it, and a sprig of green hedge floating on the top of the water. She is still so tiny the half gallon bowl looks like a 5 gallon tank would with an adult in it.

I am doing a 100% water change every 2 days. At the moment my fish is only an inch from the tip of her nose to the edge of her tail. (Kind of more like 3/4 inch but close enough.)

They seem like they are pretty hardy. I don't think I will have any problems growing her to adult size.

And yes, you did a wonderful job caring for your little guy!! Thank you for sharing his before and after pictures!! :D
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #10 
betta lover1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBaited View Post
as long as you know what where doing i kept 1 day old betta's before lol, since am a beginner breeder.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote