Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #1 
sh29

My bettas fins look awful and a white spot on his head.

My bettas fins are looking terrible and he has sort of a white spot/scab near his head. this happened very fast. still eating and lots of energy. he seems to enjoy the bubble tube i just installed as he catches them in his mouth. all his friends are fine,plecco,apple snail and leopard danio. water was changed last week aswell.seems to have his mouth open alot to. i attached pics of him now and there are pics of him healthy on here. this is my 4th one in as many months and no luck. in the bottom image you can see the mark on his head but he seems ok other than the visual stuff and the mouth open alot
Attached Images

Last edited by sh29; 05-21-2012 at 10:18 PM.
sh29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

The first thing I would suggest is getting him into a hospital tank. To my inexperienced eye it looks like ich, which means a salt treatment - something you don't want to do in the same tank as a pleco.

I'd also suggest filling out the information sticky in the Diseases section. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #3 
sh29

Almost like he is to hyper now and fighting with his reflection. Very aggresive
Old 05-22-2012, 05:46 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

His fins look like either he or his tankmates (if he has any) have been snacking on them. If his fins got shredded in a matter of hours or overnight - its probably tail biting.

I'm not sure about the white spot or the open mouth. Does the white spot look like a grain of salt? If so. Bomba may be right with the Ich. Does it look fuzzy?

I can't tell from the pics

Answer as many as you can
Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-22-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #5 
sh29

Just called home. My mom where I board says she can barely see the white spot now and he is playing. I put one of those bubble tubes in my 5 gallon tank and he chases the bubbles and seems comfortable with them. I have him,leopard danio,pleco and apple snail. He seems to dominate the danio but for the first time on friday when he swam by my albino pleco the pleco chased him away but they have been together 3 months. I have a aqua clear filter as well and have changed nothing. Water temp was 70-72 yesterday
Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

You need to do a couple of things to keep him healthy.

1) Get the pleco into a different tank. If he's a BN you need at lesat ten gallons, preferrably 20. If he's a common pleco, look at 75 gallons. They have a huge bioload and are simply not suitable for a 5 gallon. As well as dirtying the water to a dangerous degree for everybody else, keeping him in there may stunt his growth.

2) The danio also needs a much bigger tank, at least 10 gallons, preferrably 20. They are schooling fish and when kept alone they can stress. Combined with that stress and the stress of not having enough room, he's living with a constant risk of getting sick.

3) The water is a great temperature for your pleco and danio (could do with being maybe a tad warmer for the pleco) but it is way too cold for your betta. It needs to be at least 76, with 78-82 being optimum. That's another reason why his current tankmates aren't great.

It would really help if you could fill in the form that Tikibirds posted. It would give us a lot more to work with.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #7 
sh29

Thanks. The pleco is a albino bristle nose my friend breads and they don't get big. Danio I was told by pets unlimited would be fine in a 5 gallon plus like I said its been 2 months with no trouble. I might just keep my betta and my apple snail which is nearly golf ball size so he should take care of any dirt in there I was told. I will fill out the form later. Thank you. I smell just a gold fish or something in my future. Something hardy
Old 05-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

If you want a hardy goldfihs (i.e. a comet) you will need a massive tank.

For the reasons I gave above (danios needing groups and a large footprint to swim in, BN plecos getting 6 inches and making heaps of mess) those fish are not suitable for your 5 gallon. Your petshop and your friend did not give you good advice there.

Your apple snail won't take care of dirt. He might eat some green algae, but he won't deal with most algae and will create a heck of a lot of poop. Apple snails make terrible clean-up teams.

It's not that your fish aren't hardy. Plecos and danios are both very hardy, as are bettas. Just not in the tank you're keeping them in. In a 20 gallon, your danio (with some other danio buddies) and your pleco would be very happy. :)
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

The problem isn't really with how big the pleco will get, it's that they produce too much waste for 5 gallons of water to handle. Snails are also poop machines and with all the fish, the waste output is too high for 5 gallons of water.

How often are the water changes? my sister has her 10 gallon overstocked with 2 goldfish and 4 snails. Since she refuses to care for the tank and only changes the water "when it looks dirty" I get stuck siphoning it 2-3 times a week to keep the nitrate, ammonia and nirtite levels down. Also, the smaller tank size will probably stunt the growth of the baby goldfish.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #10 
sh29

So my Betta and Snail are ok in the 5 gallon? i'm buying some drops tomorrow for fin damage at the pet store so i hope the helps. he seems heathy but getting ugly is all