Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #11 
betta lover1507

i heard it is also a scarce case :P and i never saw such a big one from a female before her fins also show that there growing still by the colorless fins on her tips. possibly a male, but am still not a %100 percent :\ aggressive-ness is natural for betta's, not all are the same.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #12 
tpocicat

Male or female, (can't really tell) the betta is beautiful.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #13 
Delta

I think it's just instincts telling her to build a nest. Sometimes the female will help add to the male's nest during spawning. Maybe she just had a bunch of eggs in her that she wanted to get rid of. And then built a bubble nest to go along with it?

I dunno. Are you positive she's a female? One of my old Plakats had a false eggspot his whole life.
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #14 
Sincerely

Wicca (Thinking of changing her name to Wicked) is a girl, I am 100% certain on that fact, Her fins are no longer growing either. She just ended up with a white band on the edge of her fins instead of staying solid green, Im thinking about setting up photo lighting just so you can see how much of a lovely girl she is.

Just so we can bounce back to the main point of this thread. Should I "attempt" to breed her down the line? Wicca is eight months old but she is so fiesty about this I am considering doing it before the chance is lost entirely.

-Sincerely
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #15 
BeckyFish97

Ok so firstly, Either she has super long fins, or she's a he, secondly beautiful, thirdly I was reading somewhere a while back about how some females mimic the bubblenesting of the male, and how they seem to be more prone to doing it if they have been raised in a jar next to a male and have had a full view all the time.Yes you could breed her, but be careful because if she is a he you could end up with two dead males, and obviously you don't want that!!!I find it easier to breed when they are under a year, but breeding after that is not impossible!!!
BeckyFish97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #16 
Delta

Well if you're planning on entering the fry in shows I wouldn't. Females with too much "male finnage" have lots of points marked off. And another concern is, you said she's feisty? If she's hostile I wouldn't want to breed her. She might tear up the the male's fins more than usual in a spawning.
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #17 
Sincerely

She carries DT in her, so that may help to explain her finnage (I personally love it) Also, she has been living in the sorority ever since I received her with virtually no contact with males except when she would see Kanki in the spawning tank when I was conditioning him (He would flare at the girls through this tiny crack that he managed to find), this aggressive behavior just cropped up recently so maybe she is attempting to assert dominance?

The dominant female of my sorority is an old gal about a year old or so and kept to the top of the pecking order just because of her sheer size that she is able to throw around, the strange thing is she is not aggressive in the least but because Wicca is the second oldest maybe she wants to be alpha now? I have watched the both of them flare off but then part ways peacefully before I removed Wicca, Wicca actually nipped the youngest members of the group who are non-agnostic as well.

I'm just so confuzzled about all of this .

As a youngster she had good form for shows (I believe) but as with all bettas she grew out and now has more fin than what she used to.

-Sincerely
Sincerely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #18 
Crowntailed

I wouldn't breed she just doesn't seem very good fins...
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:01 PM   #19 
Luimeril

she has good fins in my book. :V i'm still learning fins, but with the right male, she could male some purdy babies. :B her anal and tail are almost exactly the same size, which, according to a breeder, are what you look for in HMs.

saying she's too aggressive for breeding is like saying some males are. :I they're not too aggressive, they just need the right kind of conditioning. i know a breeder who had a female who she REALLY wanted to breed. but she'd kill every male she paired her with. didn't stop her, she just had to condition her JUST RIGHT. she eventually found a male who she'd spawn with, it just took a while, and a different method of spawning and conditioning.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #20 
TheCheese909

Well you CAN keep a male Betta in a tank with girls.. It's not impossible, usually a difficult but it can be done. I haven't but a close friend of mine had her male VT in a 10 gallon and added 2 females. Not to breed, but just to have them together. They never fought and were all happy together for months. So it's not impossible that your little girl is a boy.. I'm not saying she is, but you never know. The more recent photos I see of her, I would say she is a he.. You never know though.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote