Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #1 
Cinderwolf

GAH! Algae bloom!

Okay so I left my tank in the care fo my grandparents for the past 2 days and over that time I have successfully grown a wierd algae ( that blankets the plants but stays off the walls) and it has killed my hornwort.. all of it!

I'
ll grab a photo of it in a bit but I am oo annoyed. I am goignt o try to recoup the hortwort in a bucket and Im gonne rinse off all the other plants to get the algae off. I am not sure how long thye had the lgihts on eevery day. but probably it was jsut natural sunlight.
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #2 
EvilVOG

could be BGA (blue-green algae)... It's a bacteria not an algae despite it's name. I have an ongoing battle with it. mostly what i've been told is to dose it with an anti-fungal, or blackout the tank for 3 days (no light what-so-ever). i've been unable to keep it from coming back but the blackout thing worked pretty well.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:00 AM   #3 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
could be BGA (blue-green algae)... It's a bacteria not an algae despite it's name. I have an ongoing battle with it. mostly what i've been told is to dose it with an anti-fungal, or blackout the tank for 3 days (no light what-so-ever). i've been unable to keep it from coming back but the blackout thing worked pretty well.
Oh I will look into that. its like.. thread like I guess but it has like blanketed the horn wort. made it look like a big green ball instead of a spiky plant its wierd. like as is a spider wed was on a pine needle
Old 05-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #4 
EvilVOG

yeah, sounds like what BGA did to the horwort i used to have. just covered everything in sheets of nasty green stuff.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #5 
Cinderwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
yeah, sounds like what BGA did to the horwort i used to have. just covered everything in sheets of nasty green stuff.
Yup.. I looke dit up, thats what is it. GAH Its jsut one thing after anoher with this tank!

Any tips on gettign rid of it?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

If it is thread like...it may be Spirogyra algae or water silk...or thread algae are two common type that like to grow more at the surface in hornwort.

BGA or cyanobacteria-it usually grow in sheets, smells bad, grows fast, can be blue/dark green in color and slime like feel to it-usually will be back within 24 hours after removal.

Can you post some pic...proper ID will help know what to do...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #7 
Cinderwolf

Yes, I will be sure to get soem photos today
Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 AM   #8 
Cinderwolf

Okay I got photos.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Looks like BGA.....the way I take care of that....manual removal daily...I like to use airline hose to siphon it out so that I am not removing too much water at a time...Increase water movement-add another HOB filter if you have one...it can take about a week to 10 days of daily removal.

What kind of fish are in the tank-you might be able to do a 3 day total black out too.....depending on what type of livestock in the tank you may want to remove them to a temporary container-manually remove all the BGA by siphon making at least 50-70% water change-use black plastic bags, blankets...etc for a total black out for 3 days....no peaking-the filter needs to be running full blast....
After the 3 days...big water change and vacuum-
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #10 
Cinderwolf

There is just the betta. But wont a 3 day black out kill me plants? I will do a huge manual removal today or tomorrow. I am due for a water change anyway so I will do it at the same time.