Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 12:11 PM   #11 
Ethan

It's your choice not ours though ;)
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #12 
ZackyBear

You can't really cycle a tank that small, from what I've been told. I get it in my tank with Portal Prime after a day or so, but I do 100% water changes every 3 days so I don't really think it's a problem.

The tank is small enough for just a betta. 3 guppies added into that is very dangerous, since bettas are known to attack them. You would have to be doing water changes everyday because of the ammonia build up, and that alone can stress them all out :o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #13 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, a tank that small is a challenge to cycle. Are you trying to cycle it with the guppies?
Must have missed the part on the cycling though- during cycling yes you should be doing water changes, bloom or not, to keep toxins down.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #14 
wulfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Well at this point I would keep doing water changes since you have fish in there until the tank is cycled. The water may stay cloudy but it won't hurt the fish. When you do get the vacuum make sure to hit the gravel really well. Once your tank is cycled then do a water and clean the gravel and wait out the bacteria bloom.
got me a master test kit, ammonia right now is at 0.25ppm and nitrite is at 0ppm, also got a gravel vacuum and will be cleaning my gravel tomorrow since I gotta work in 1/2hr
wulfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #15 
Boredomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfie View Post
got me a master test kit, ammonia right now is at 0.25ppm and nitrite is at 0ppm, also got a gravel vacuum and will be cleaning my gravel tomorrow since I gotta work in 1/2hr
That's a good test kit to have. Ammonia at .25 isn't that high but I would still try and get it to 0. That's great that Nitrites but what about Nitrates? Those are or can be toxic at high levels. After you do a gravel vaccum I would check all the parameters again. I have never had a tank this small and it very well might be hard to get cycled as some suggest. So I think if I was you would I be checking the parameters atleast every other day until you know the tank is cycled doing water changes when every the parameters are out of range.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #16 
wulfie

I just wanted to say a big thanks Boredomb, I got my master test kit and gravel vacuum, hit the gravel really good, ended up changing out about 25% of the water, let the filter run for a good half hour and then tested my water. As it stands right now, I have 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 0ppm nitrate, is there anything else I need to do? I'm gonna 'assume' that I'm good to go
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 AM   #17 
Boredomb

Well you should be showing some nitrates. So thinking your tank isn't cycled. From here on out just monitor your parameters since you now have a kit and do a water change when parameters are out of range (Ammonia .25+, Nitrites should be 0 anything more then that it is toxic to fish, Nitrates I wouldn't let them get much above 30-40.) Also has your water cleared up? Remember during this time of getting your tank cycled the water may not clear up because water changes can cause bacteria blooms to be worse. Bacteria blooms won't kill your fish though so keep doing water changes and you will be good to go.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #18 
wulfie

yeah, my water is still just a bit cloudy but not nearly as bad as it was, I'm gonna assume that this is okay and to just watch the water parameters and hopefully it'll clear up soon
Old 05-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #19 
Boredomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfie View Post
yeah, my water is still just a bit cloudy but not nearly as bad as it was, I'm gonna assume that this is okay and to just watch the water parameters and hopefully it'll clear up soon
Yes this is fine, your water quality is more in important.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #20 
wulfie

yeah, I went from using spring water to treated tap, actually seems to make a HUGE difference, after one partial water change my cloudiness is a LOT less than it was prior to using tap water