Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #1 
gabrielle09

Has this ever happened to you?????

Okay so I have been conditioning my halfmoon plakat bettas that I just got from Thailand for a month. They are two lavender males. They are extremely healthy and active and have been building bubblenests like crazy. I have been feeding them a combination of pellets, brine shrimp and this dried betta food from Petland that is supposed to be high in protein. I was told it was good to rotate the food rather than just feed them the same thing every day. Oh I have been feeding them twice a day as well. I have a halfmoon female that I have had for about three months that is about half the size of my males. I have been conditioning her in the same way. I have her in a 1.5 gallon live planted aquarium at the moment and my males in a 2.5 gallon live planted aquarium and a 20 gallon live planted aquarium.

I put my female in with my male in the 20 gallon in a hurricane glass for 3 days and everything was going well. They were flaring at each other and the male built a nice big bubblenest and the female started doing her little dance so I let her out. Oh I should tell you that she was full of eggs... and her egg spot was sticking out like it is supposed to. Once she was out, her and the male started chasing each other and she got a little chomp out of her fin but nothing serious. She went to inspect the bubblenest and it look like it passed because she didn't destroy it and then everything just stopped.

My male and female just started ignoring each other. My female claimed one end of the tank and my male the other and when they met each other in passing they just kept on going. I had them together like that for 3 days and then decided to separate them and start reconditioning them again. Is this normal behaviour? I am new to breeding and have never had this happen before. They didn't fight anymore than that first little scrap but they were showing all the signs of getting ready to mate... Why did they stop?

I'm going to try putting her with my second male that I have in the 2.5 gallon once I shift everyone around of course so the 20 gallon is ready again. I just really want to know why my pair lost interest in each other. Does anyone know the answer?????
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 
AFishTale

IMO, 20 gallons is too much space for a breeding pair. At that size, they're more content to stake claims on separate ends of the tank rather than spawn. I would suggest downgrading to a 10 gallon or 5 gallon.
AFishTale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #3 
gabrielle09

Thank you so much, I will try that. Reading on the internet a lot of people say bigger is better but I suppose that isn't always the case LOL :)
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #4 
gabrielle09

Would a 2.5 gallon be too small to breed them in???? I'm told that if you condition them right it shouldn't be a problem but you really have to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

While you can spawn using a 20gal.....It may be easier for you to start off using the standard method in a 5-10gal bare bottom tank, either full to the top or half full with a mass amount of live plants floating to function as a natural divider-Once you gain some more experience the more natural method and/or larger tank spawning will be much easier for you.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #6 
gabrielle09

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it. It's been quite a learning curve for the past year. Whoever said taking care of fish was easy hasn't had a dog. My puppy is very low maintenance compared to my bettas.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #7 
MollyJean

I've seen a few setups where a 20 gallon was split into 2, leaving you with a 10 gallon for breeding, and the other side free for when the fry are larger, if need be. Or for a second breeding tank. Though from what I have seen you have to put a simi-permanent divider in the center of the tank with aquarium sealant and everything.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #8 
Crowntailed

2.5g is a little small for your first time breeding, a 5-10g would work better. Some people use 2.5 tanks but because its your first time a 5-10g will make life a whole lot easier.
Crowntailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #9 
BettaBaited

I have had success in a 2.5 gal. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, except you do need to watch them A LOT closer to make sure no one gets hurt. Also, I would give your female some time to rest after getting that chomp out of her tail.
BettaBaited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #10 
tpocicat

I use the Petco bookcase 6.6 gallon tank as a spawning tank. For me it is the right size, and it comes with a plastic cover that is great to keep the humidity in for when the fry develop their labyrinth. Bare bottom with some java moss.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote