Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #11 
gabrielle09

Oh I won't try breeding that female again for a couple weeks until her tail is almost healed. She does this silly little dance at the front of her tank when she is feeling good so I won't put her in with my other male until she is active like that again. And splitting my 20 gallon into two is a good idea. That way I don't have to go and buy yet another tank. I have them all over the house.... I love decorating them and now that I converted them all to live aquariums they are even more beautiful and my bettas are the happiest I have ever seen them. That Petco bookcase tank sounds interesting... I wish I had a Petco where I live.
gabrielle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielle09 View Post
Would a 2.5 gallon be too small to breed them in???? I'm told that if you condition them right it shouldn't be a problem but you really have to take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt.
Lots and lots of different methods to successfully spawn and rear fry of this species....Its finding what works best for you, your breeders and what you have on hand......Spawns can vary from breeder to breeder even with the same pair....they love to keep us on our toes.....

A lot of it can be a bit of trial and error.....you have to tweak here and there......have a goal to work towards, be responsible and most of all have fun....don't overwhelm yourself or over think it....and have patience......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #13 
gabrielle09

Yes it has been very much trial and error over the past year. There are so many people that tell you the wrong information about bettas. It's nice to have a website like this that you can rely on for the right answers. And I have been tweaking a lot of what I do and how I look after my babies. I just wish it didn't cost so much..... live plants are so expensive but well worth it. Patience is something I am working on LOL. It's not my strongest virtue. :)
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Laffs....your not alone...patience is hard for me as well....

We have lots of members here that use all different types of methods successfully...all willing to help.....

I have found using a more natural method to spawn using natural planted systems to work best for me....

Sometimes we have to get creative....

And start up cost usually are just that...start up....once you get your plants growing well/thriving....propagate....

I started with about $40.00 dollars worth of plants for 1 tank and within...maybe....2-3 months I had enough for another tank-then another...etc.....now all my tanks are mass planted (see my album for pic) not to mention all the plants I take to market twice a year....lol......but I also use the natural method with high nutrient dirt for my substrate and this can make a difference in how well the plant grow...at least for me....Then lighting being one of the biggest factors with live plants-without proper lights/color temp for photosynthesis the plants can't use the high nutrient dirt or plant food for that matter-
Wrong color temp or too old light bulbs or wrong photoperiod is usually the most common cause of live plant failures.

Anyway...sorry getting of topic here.......live plants are another of my passions besides spawning Betta, other species of fish and inverts.....lol....
Old 05-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #15 
gabrielle09

Well I've just started with live plants for the first time. I used to breed livebearers before I tried my hand at bettas but it really doesn't take much for livebearers to breed or to make them happy for that matter. I just love watching my bettas play hide and seek in the anubias and watersprite and their colour is so much better as well as their health. I had my baby Adelaide...I'm guessing she was only a month or a month and half old when I got her she was so tiny... She would always get sick. She had ich and then her and her brother both contracted velvet and unfortunately her brother died. It was lack of knowledge on my part as I had never dealt with velvet before. I have a feeling they had it when I bought them from the petstore. Anyway she is the healthiest, happiest fish I own now. At least out of my petstore buys. The live plants really bring out her personality and she is more active. I wish everyone would learn about aquarium plants and use them for their bettas because it really makes a difference. And the plus side is that the tank has cleaner, clearer water longer so it's a lot more low maintenance. Live plants are amazing!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

I couldn't agree more...its amazing at the change you can see in fish behavior with the addition of live plants that are thriving....Not only can thriving plants help maintain water quality- but they can help make the fish feel more secure/safe....not to mention all the microorganism they house for extra nutrition and free range grazing....