Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Talking New project

So wit the addition of my new boy Sheldon, I decided to try divided tank once again. This time I got the idea from someone on here to divide the two sections with space in between for the filter and heater. Leaving about 9 inches of horizontal space for each male and in the middle I have 5.5 inches of horizontal space in between the two sections. My filter intake will be baffled and the outflow goes directly into the middle section. I plan to also place fake plants in the center to help block the view of the males between the sections. So I'm starting a thread.
I have a couple questions,
1instead of buyin carbon filter inserts , is it possible for me to just use my left over aq sponge as the media? Kind of like a make shift sponge filter?

2) I have no gravel so I was wondering if any of you have found some cheap anywhere or things you have used that is cheap and betta safe?

3) any objections to my plan? Any issues etc?

I'm gonna post pictures up of what I have so far and what the filter looks like.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

Here are the promised pictures

If you are wondering, Im using the binders and craft mesh method of dividing with the dividers held in place by aq sealant. Please excuse the green dry erase marker I used for my measurements . Its drying since the package asks to wait 48 hours before adding water. I also wanted to know with that filter if I could use aq sponge as the fikter media as opposed to buying new inserts. So here are the pictures
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #3 
Cinderwolf

not sure of you specific model, but i got a used filter with no media ( cept the bio wheel) and I jsut crammed the whoel thing full of sponge. works great, and tons of surface area for the bacteria to grow. Shoudlw ork well, thne you never have to replace it either, jsut rinse it
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

I figured it would've okay, just wanted to make sure . All I need is a form of sand or gravel extra cheap ;) lol!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 
Twilight Storm

If you are going to pack the inside of the filter with sponge, and the intake will be inside the middle section, you probably don't need the sponge on the intake tube.
Depending on the flow of that filter you might not need to baffle the output either since it will be flowing through two screens. The screens and plants should act as a pretty good baffle.

When you set it up, I would try it without, then if needed you can add extra baffles, a little bit of surface movement will keep that scum from building up on your water.

Keep us posted on how it works. Great step by step pictures you have taken so far too :) I got frustrated with divided 10's because I was not getting good flow through the screens. :)
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

My intake is actually not going to be in the center, so Thats why I'm going to try it first baffled with sponge, But yea I agree. Okay so that takes an expense off my list for filter inserts (every penny counts!). I'm not going to cram it with sponge I still want to be able to put the top of the filter on, that way I can get movement on the surface
Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #7 
teeneythebetta

Have you tried looking for play sand at home depot? I'm not sure how much it costs, or if it is cheaper but it is aquarium safe as long as it is the sand meantfor children to play with.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

The only problem I have with sand is that it gets spots that are anoxic and you have to shuffle the sand around. I found this that OFL talked to me about, if this is the right brand, she said she's used it safely. If anyone knows anythign about this let me know. I'm window shopping right now so I think tomorrow of something like that I'll be getting the substrate
Old 05-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #9 
Anitax3x

oh lol crap, this is the link
http://www.lowes.com/pd_92130-76450-...7C1&facetInfo=
Old 05-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

this is river rock. same price I assume its made for life in water.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92125-76450-...7C1&facetInfo=