Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #11 
ZergyMonster

I got a 50 pound bag of play sand at Home Depot for $2.69, if you get some Malaysian trumpet snails (MTS) they burrow in the sand to keep the anaerobic spots from forming and they eat algae. They only problem with MTS is that they are considered pest snails so you will have to kill them as you get rid of them to prevent them from invading your natural habitats.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #12 
Anitax3x

Okay so the question remains where do I get these trumpet snails???
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

If I can do play sand and the snails I'll do that, seems like a great idea
Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #14 
ZergyMonster

I found a local pet store that just gave them to me because they usually just throw them out. I'm sure if you search enough you can find someone who does the same. If not there are tons of online suppliers who usually sell for $.50-$1 per snail (Not including shipping). They spawn like crazy so you only really need 5-10 and they will start to increase in numbers.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #15 
teeneythebetta

You can also make a "looking for trumpet snails" on craigslist.org if you have trouble finding some.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #16 
Anitax3x

Hmm I'll keep that in mind! Thanks! Tomorrow I'll be Attempting to set up the tank
Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #17 
Anitax3x

Here is my stand i found in my closet ! Used to be an old tv stand that ended up holding books in my closet. What do you guys think? Ill be covering up the dividers with black tape. And a nice background. So far so good

Sorry for some reason it turned out sideways. Oh and you guys get to see me as a baby lol pardon the mess I had to take down a shelf and move a night stand to put this here.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #18 
Anitax3x

Now Im off to grab supplies yay
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #19 
teeneythebetta

Awesome! Aww I wish I had a stand! I have to keep in on my dresser... Hopefully I will get a new dresser that fits into my closet, then I can have room for a stand! :D xD

Keep us updated with pics please! ;)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #20 
Anitax3x

Technically it was a tv stand slash dresser thing. Okay! So IM FINISHED! I have the two divided sections with sheldon a hmpk dragon male betta 3peppered cories and one adf on the right, the left side has another male hmpk dragon betta xcalibur with 3 emerald cories and an adf. I have more than enough filtration for the fishies. Originally I had my hmpk hermie in with the emerald cories but based on swimming abilities I switched after the pictures were taken. The middle section has the filer outflow and the heater and some tall plants to break the line of sight. The boys have no idea abot each other ans I LOVE IT! It really turned out great! My boy xcalibur loves his log, hes sleeping in it and the cories school around and I found one sleeping in the fake bonzai. Too funny! Im thinking of possibly adding more livestock once its running for a bit. I used this bacteria i bought from my lfs that establishes the nitrate cycle almosy a jump start if you will. And Ill be doing water changes weekly until its all set. So far the boys investigated but have lost interedst in their tank mates. Sorry for my horrendous typing Im using a phone! Enjoy my pics!!!
Attached Images