Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #11 
MollyJean

Oh dear.. the poor thing..

He's not well. You'll have to work fast to help him. Lower the water if he is having trouble reaching the top. I'm sure he has fin rot. It can be caused by all kinds of things, stress, poor water conditions, an injury, so in this case it might be hard to pinpoint what caused it, but we can try to fix it and prevent it later on.

Now that he's in the smaller tank, you should dose him with Aquarium Salt. It'll have a guide based on your tank size, so you need to know how big the tank is, but 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water is what I use. You want to place the salt in a cup with some tank water and mix it til it's dissolved. ((I use very hot water to make sure it all dissolves fully and then wait til it was cooled to room temp before pouring it into the tank. But don't do this if you don't feel comfortable with it.)) You want to get a heater for the tank and make sure it stayed at 78 and put him in a calm, dark place.

Every day you need to change his water 100% and add salt again. Don't overlap the water. New water, new salt, every day! Don't overlap the water! New water, new salt, every day! This should last for 7-10 days but NO MORE. Don't skip a day! After the last treatment, make sure he has fresh, clean, unsalted water to swim in and change the water often.

There is the problem with him laying on his side, however....

If he's swimming upside down and on his side, or "standing up" or nose down, vertical, he could have Swim Bladder Disorder. This is a little different and harder to treat. I would start with the salt and give it 24 hours. He should be doing better, if not you'll have to get medications. The problem is, it might not be SBD, and I have my doubts because you're not feeding him enough, so he doesn't have a chance to get bloated.

You should be feeding him twice a day, 2-3 pellets at a time. A betta has a stomach about the size of his eye and you have to be careful not to over feed him. If you're going to give him bloodworms, replace his pellets for bloodworms for that feeding. Feeding him more often might perk him up more then anything else. I'd say with that feeding schedule, he's doesn't have much energy. Which means he can't fight off illness very well.

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #12 
coffeelovinchick

Thank you so much for your help. I am going out in a bit and I will stop by and pick up the aquarium salt and start that right away tonight. Is there anything else I will need or should get right away while I am there?
coffeelovinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #13 
MollyJean

How big is that tank? If it's 2 gallons or more, it should have a heater. (Under 2 gallons is very hard to heat evenly) His body won't be able to fight the fin rot in water that's too cold. If he doesn't have a tank that's 2 gallons or more already, you might want to get one just so you can put a heater in it. But I do understand sometimes money is an issue, so if you can do nothing more then the salt, at least he'll have that, right?
Old 05-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #14 
coffeelovinchick

The bigger tank he was in with the 2 frogs was 5 gallons. The small eco-system cube he is in now is about 1 quart, maybe 1/3 gallon. The big tank has a heater in it with water that is 78. But the small one does not. Room temp, the water is about 72.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #15 
MollyJean

If you have the money, get a larger tank. Something that small is just.. cruel.. for a betta to live in. And can't be heated.

As I said before, the 5 gallon would be perfect for the betta, and the two frogs would go well in a 10 gallon tank. You can get a 10 gallon and a heater for it while you're out, set it up for the frogs and move the betta into the 5 gallon once it's been cleaned up and after he's been treated.

You can float that tiny tank in the 5 gallon to keep him warm if nothing else. It all depends on how much money you're planning to spend, honestly.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #16 
coffeelovinchick

I was just at the pet store and spoke to the man there. I explained what's going on and what you advised to do. He agreed and showed me the salt. However he said that I should put the betta back into the 5 gallon heated tank and move the frogs back to their smaller eco-system cube while I am treating the betta. He said the frogs are not as picky about space and heat for short periods of time. He said that if the betta is not perking up in a day or two then I would need to consider a larger tank for the frogs and probably keep the separate permanently.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #17 
MollyJean

The frogs need room. For a day or two they would be OK, but they need room. I do agree it would be easier to treat the fish in a larger tank, as it can be heated, but only if you are sure the frogs are going to be OK in the smaller tank. (You said they had been kept in a smaller tank before, right?) Personally, I have a hard time choosing and keep a lot of extra tanks and heaters around just in case.

As for separating them permanently.. Unless you plan on getting a 15 or 20 gallon tank, you'll have to separate them when the betta is better. As I said, I don't know much about ADF care, but I do know betta do better alone, and need a lot of space.

These are really things you should decide for yourself. Just do what you think is best. The important thing is keeping him warm and continuing the treatments; clean water and salt. You'll have to figure out how to go about that to keep all three of the critters happy.

I'm glad you have the salt and am crossing my fingers that everything goes well! And I think now is a good time to beg for pictures and get some names, cause pictures are awesome, and so are pet names :)
Old 05-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #18 
coffeelovinchick

When I got home last night I jumped on here to read the post you sent while I was out then I went upstairs to start the salt. We lost him while I was out getting the salt.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #19 
Leeniex

I'm so sorry. :( I think it's criminal how pet store employees spread their lack of knowledge. People trust them for advice. You did your best for the little guy.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #20 
MollyJean

I'm so sorry.. I wish I could have helped more. I really hope your kids are alright, they tend to take these things pretty hard (Of course so do us adults)