Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #11 
Pataflafla

Retreat daily with epsom. You can bump it up to 2 tsp/gal after another day of just 1 tsp/gal (Want to give it its time to work). You can safely go to a max of 3 tsp/gal if you think he needs it. Change out as much water as you can and then redo the salt. 100% change is preferred but sometimes it's not possible.

Wash your hands very thoroughly under hot water before and after handling anything that has to do with him. Try not to mix any of your regular supplies with his since you don't want to spread whatever it is he has to any of your other tanks.

I still suggest a parasite treatment. some of the medication that is in it might do him some good even if it is a bacterial issue. I suggest either General Cure or Jungle brand (I'm US based so unsure on other meds for different areas).

If you don't feel like the parasite treatment is necessary then maybe try an anti-bacterial treatment with Tetracycline or other wide-based medication. There's Triple-Sulfa and Erythromycin based medications too that might be of some help.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #12 
Wolfie305

I own both Maracyns and I also have the Jungle Fungal treatment or something to that effect - I'll double check when I get home. Thanks for the info though! I was just home to check on him and he hasn't got worse or better, so I guess that's better than being worse!
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #13 
Pataflafla

Its good that he's at least stable, even if hes not healthy.

With epsom salt, you can use a treatment dose for 14 days safely. There's a therapeutic dose that can be used long term, but very few bettas actually need it.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #14 
Wolfie305

I shouldn't treat with salt and medication at the same time, correct?
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 PM   #15 
Pataflafla

With Epsom salt it is ok. Never aq salt as that swings the temp a bit messes stuff up.

It's safe to medicate him with either parasite or bacterial medication and to keep him on epsom salt, which I recommend since he's still having sbd.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

+1 I'd medicate since the SBD could be caused by a bacteria. Epsom salts seem more like a relief but I'm not sure if they actually would kill bacteria.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #17 
SpookyTooth

I know next to nothing about this myself but just wanted to wish you and the fish the best of luck! He's gorgeous!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I was asked to come take a look and IMO/E....that is a CNS(central nervous system) issue....either injury related, birth defect, tumor even a parasite that is adversely effecting equilibrium.....

I would try the shallow container with the Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and tannins, however, I would limit water changes to 25-50% every other day...dim lit quiet location.....to make him comfy.....

If at any point he seem to be suffering.....you need to do what is right by him......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Poor thing! I'm used to seeing goldies with this problem, usually because of an unclean environment.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #20 
Aria

Location: Lowell, and Amesbury depending on the time of year.
Good luck with him I wish you the best, but things do look pretty bleak for the guy. ): to echo what oldfilshlday says, if he doesn't improve after a week or so, or if he seems to be suffering and has little to no quality of life, you should do right by him and put him down.

Luckily I've never had to use this method before, but fish owners I know swear by it:
How to Put Fish to Sleep Humanely

It puts them gently into a coma, where you then basically poison them. They go peacefully in their sleep none the wiser.

Good luck, I hope he starts to improve more soon!
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote