Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #1 
freemike

Is there just sometimes unhealthy bettas?

Mystic the boy I have the most trouble with to be honest. He has been through chronic fin rot and tail biting while I had him in a kritter keeper. One time I found him so weak he was getting sucked into his filter and could only free his self using a second push. Well this evening I came home checked on him he looked fine nice color and everything, forgot his evening meal to be honest. Well it's been about 6.5 hours now he has lost his color and refusing to eat. His activity level seems normal as he just swims around the food. His fins look alright and his water is parameter wise fine 78* 0,0,10. This fish it seems is just a constant struggle to keep him healthy. I thought I had him figured out because I've had him healthy for 3 weeks in his cycled 5 gallon tank in a high traffic area of the house. So far I have been able to bring him back to to full health with each turn. I know I am new at this, but I do have another Betta with cory and shrimp in a 10 gallon community and it has ran and is running without a hiccup for two months. I'm keeping everything the same for them water/feeding schedule wise so I don't understand such drastic differences in health levels. They both get 50-60% water changes on Sunday every week. The healthy one is a red VT and the troublesome one is a blue VT. They both came from wal-mart at the same time. I just don't get it. Maybe I'm just over reacting because he didn't eat earlier but I haven't seen him lose this much color since he was barely able to out swim his old filter. So is it possible that he's just unhealthy or bad genetics? I'm not trying to use this as an excuse for maybe something I am doing wrong and don't realize it. It's just that as far as I can tell they get treated the same exact way as realistically possible being in two different tanks and have such a difference in health levels.

Last edited by freemike; 04-17-2012 at 10:46 PM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Sometimes fish can be just...unhealthy. I fought a LONG battle with Admiral, who came to me malnurished and clamped. He was finally turning a lovely purpley red, then he passed away when he dozed off.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Definitely some ill-bred bettas out there. It's sad, but sometime they can't get over health issues and lead a normal life.

I had one girl who was always skinny and always getting sick. She would go a few weeks without parasites and gain weight, and then lose everything she gained and more with a month-long bout of parasites.

She passed away, unfortunately, due to parasites, but her last night was comfy and accompanied by a feast of krill.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think that bettas are kind of like humans. Some are more sensitive to different things than others. Some get stressed out more than others. IDK
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #5 
Sakura8

Just as a human in a 3rd world country with poor nutrition and sanitation is more susceptible to diseases, so is a betta who is kept in dirty water and fed twice a week at a pet store more susceptible than a betta who is kept in clean water and fed more often. In a way, the manner in which bettas are treated at the pet store is similar to prenatal care in humans. It can define how healthy a betta is for the rest of its life.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 AM   #6 
Bombalurina

Definitely. I don't know how long Apollo was in the petshop - let's assume a couple of weeks - and he was with his former owner for a week, living in a 1 litre jar, but it was enough to leave him very unhealthy. He had fin rot ALL THE TIME.
Any fish I have bought from local shops around here has barely lived more than a year. I make sure they are good lives, but they aren't long ones. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Yeah, here I've noticed a decrease in years lived by a betta. 2.5 so far seems to be the average and I remember having 4 year old bettas...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote