Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #1 
helen78

Seachem prime and water test results

I have had my betta for 2 weeks now he was a rescue my stupid friend was going to flush him so i rescued him,i didnt have time to cycle his tank which is a aquael 25 litre, i have been using seachem prime and stability every day with water changes, the thing is every time i test the water with my api master test kit it says the ammonia is high around 0.50 and nitrites are around 0.25 to 0.50,he appears to be happy and not gasping or anything but some people say the prime can give false results while other people say prime doesnt affect results,i have been doing 50% water changes every day for the past week incase it is high in ammonia and nitrites, so i'm just asking if seachem prime can affect the api master kit results
helen78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:35 AM   #2 
bahamut285

It sounds like you're just in the middle of the cycle. Just keep doing waterchanges and it should calm down.

The seachem prime CAN mess up the results generally because they detect both ammonia and ammonium. Prime transforms ammonia into ammonium so what you're seeing is a combined result.

Ammonia is more toxic at high pH (Less Ammonium)
Ammonia is less toxic at low pH (More ammonium)
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Those are very intelligent questions from a new keeper. Bahamut is the "water Queen" around here, and her advice is gold. But just to reassure you and me:

What filter are you using?
Do you have any live plants in the tank?
What's your substrate?

I'm not a fan of fish-in cycling. But your frequent 50% water changes are exactly the right thing to do. Stability will help speed the cycle somewhat. If your nitrites are increasing, your ammonia/ammonium should be decreasing. Two weeks does seem a little early for that, but it might be fine.

I have found that having extra filter foam in and around the filter intake and outflow can also speed the cycle by giving the beneficial bacteria more area on which to grow.

Please keep us up to date by posting on this thread.

Good luck.....and welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #4 
helen78

The filter is a aquael fan mini/plus it came with the tank , i have black gravel no sharp bits tried the tights (panty hose) test before adding and no live plants they are all silk plants , i did have a real java fern but it wasnt weighted and i would find it floating in tank so changed to a big fake silk java fern looking plant which the betta loves and sleeps in i also have a heater again which came with the tank which is at a constant 80 according to thermomitor
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 AM   #5 
helen78

Forgot to menstion he also has a coconut cave with real java fern and moss attached to it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2012, 04:01 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Sounds like you're doing fine. Just keep checking the ammonia and nitrites. When the ammonia goes down and the nitrites peak, start testing for nitrAtes. When ammonia and nitrites are at 0.0ppm keep changing water until your nitrates get below 10ppm, you're cycled.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote