Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....

Lots of different ways to successfully keep this species....

If you are on a budget-check out your local thrift shops for tanks, containers of at least 1gal in size.

Filters IMO/E are optional for this species and in the smaller tanks-often they can do more harm than help-

Heater-you may or may not need one, however, its a good idea to have one on hand-Your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range-

Thermometer-you do need a thermometer to monitor both the tank temp and the temp of the replacement water used for water changes.

Test kit-while I do think hobbyist should have a test kit, know how to use it, read the results and most important-understand the results, what to do and what can cause skewed results so not to make unneeded water changes or stress yourself too much....That said....you don't have to have one to successfully keep this species or even cycle the tank-especially if you can get your water tested at the pet shop-having a test kit on hand will be needed for a fishless cycle-but not for a fish-in cycle, however, it can help take some of the guess work out of the game.....

Additives-IMO/E-the only chemical additive needed is a good dechlorinator that covers both chlorine and chloramines...Prime is a good choice...more bang for the buck....lol....

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

You can safely cycle a filtered tank with a healthy Betta provided that you make the needed water changes-with or without testing products.

Once you make your decisions on what you want to do and the supplies....we can walk you through the process.....

Don't over think it or stress yourself....this is a pretty easy and forgiving species to care for...plus you have lots of support from us.....
Look forward to seeing pic
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #12 
sisko66002

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. It’s made the process of making sure I can get my little girl what she needs to be healthy and happy a lot less stress-filled than it would have been otherwise. Thank god I stumbled onto these forums, filled with so many who are far more experienced and knowledgeable in these matters than I am. Changed her water (100% water change) last night, and have just enough conditioner for one more water change if I need to.
Based upon the advice I have been given, I’ve made the following decisions:
Tank - Tetra Aquarium Starter Kit, 5 Gallons if available at local Wal-Mart (Atchison, Kansas) or in St Joe (only a half hour away)
Tank Heater – tank heater between 25-50 watts, will be adjustable and will avoid the Marineland Stealth (Pro), I will look at the heaters at the local Wal-Mart but will not make purchase till I’ve at least looked at those at Petco (St. Joe) A heater will be very much needed, especially after the air conditioner starts getting turned on and needed even more come winter.
Thermometer – will be glass, inside tank, and purchased at Wal-Mart
Additives – Prime by Seachem and if not available Betta Basics or API StressCoat
Test kit – will be liquid if I can afford it, but might have to be strips
Gravel vac – will put it on wish list and use turkey baster, silk plants will also be put on wish list
Food – Will be either Hikari or New Life Spectrum depending on what is available and either bloodworms or brine shrimp depending on which is cheaper
Gravel – will be purchased at Wal-Mart
Decorations – will be purchased at a Thrift store, have one on the same block I live and another good one less than two miles away
Will not use the Tetra Safe Start
Still doing my researching on how to cycle and depending on if possible with the tank I purchase will use Kim’s idea on floating the small tank inside the large one to share heat between tanks while cycling.
And here is a pic of my Yomiko inside her current tank. It’s not a very good pic, because she seems to be camera shy.

Last edited by sisko66002; 05-23-2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: picture didn't display
sisko66002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:42 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I like Kim's idea best. But as Old Fish Lady suggests, you'll need a complete test kit (ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte) for a fishless cycle.

Less than $20 for the API Master water test kit is the best price I've seen.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-MASTER-TEST-KIT/dp/B000255NCI/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337849354&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: API FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT: Pet Supplies[/ame]

In order to (fishless) cycle securely and quickly you'll need a filter, and it helps to have gravel. These provide area for the beneficial bacteria to grow. This filter cycled my tank in less than two weeks. I don't know of anything cheaper. You can combine it with the test kit for free shipping.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Elite-Underwater-Filter-Listed/dp/B0009YD7D4/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337849702&sr=1-6]Amazon.com: Hagen Elite Underwater Mini Filter, UL Listed: Pet Supplies[/ame]
I did use extra filter foam.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Elite-Mini-Internal-Foam/dp/B0009YJ2Z6/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4]Amazon.com: Hagen Elite Mini Internal Foam 5 Pack: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

The most important thing for a quick cycle is to beg, borrow or steal some filter foam or 1/2cup of gravel from a established cycled tank. Sorry to say: for that, you're on you're own.

But, of course, your first priority is a heater.

Other people might have better suggestions. These are just the least expensive things I've found.

I hope you're not overwhelmed with the hopefully-not-too-confusing advice. I think you're smart enough to use it successfully.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #14 
sisko66002

The link for the testing kits is very useful especially as I can get it in two days with Prime shipping. The other links seem to be for filters for tanks of less than 3 gallons and because I'm planning on buying at least a five gallon tank, they will not work. The tank I have in mind also has a built in filter. As for taking filter foam or gravel from an established tank.... This would be impossible as I don't know anyone in real life who has fish much less an established tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #15 
sisko66002

Sadly poor little Yomiko did not live long enough for me to get her a better home. Earlier, after buying a good deal of the supplies I needed at Walmart, including a 10 gallon tank that was only two dollars more than the five gallon tank, I gave her two of the Tetra freeze dried bloodworms I bought and was quite happy to see her eating. Than I went to St. Joe to get some things I couldn't get at Walmart and when I came back she was floating in her tank and completely motionless even when touched.

I will do a fishless cycle on the new tank and when the tank is ready I will get another betta and this time I won't get one from Walmart.

R.I.P. Yomiko
Old 05-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh no, that's horrible! I'm so sorry. :(
That's really weird though.. Are you sure nothing seemed wrong?
If you can avoid it I would buy your new betta from a different store. :/
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #17 
sisko66002

When I found her in my room, the room itself was quite hot so I'm thinking that between there being almost no circulation in the room with the window closed and it being upstairs, her tiny half-gallon tank just got too hot because there wasn't enough water to act as a buffer.

Because of this, and the air conditioner I'll soon be using in my room, the new tank is set up downstairs. Though I can't start cycling untill the test kit I purchased thanks to an earlier link arrives. And I most certainly will not be buying any more fish, or anything that's alive, from Walmart ever again.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 AM   #18 
Bombalurina

Poor little girl. :( Maybe she had a fish heart attack or somesuch.

Your next fish is going to love the amazing things you have bought for him/her. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Your room would have had to have been incredibly hot to warm a tank enough to kill a healthy Betta.

Petstore Betta (especially Walmart's) are very fragile compared to professionally bred fish.
There are many fine competent breeders on this forum.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags