Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 
MachinaSoul

What the?

I'm curious about something I noticed at a petco recently.

Veiltail bettas, with color, but there is a spot/patch/portion of them where instead of color it they have a black/grey coloration.

I could not tell if they were sick, but it was very unusual, and not something I've seen before.

Can anyone verify if these were some result of an experimental breeding?

I went back to the store today, but they were gone, along with an orange delta with white dragon scales and a black flare fin that I am kicking myself for not getting last Friday.

This same store surprised me also, because they only have 10-14 bettas left in stock. Back in march and April, they had about 50-60. Scary.
MachinaSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #2 
ZackyBear

It could be something going with the fish and them getting ill somehow. Most likely keeping less bettas after getting complaints of how their fishies were being cared for.

I'm only assuming, though :o It explains the fish being pulled off the shelves
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #3 
Danibunkins

I got Caesar from PetCo, and this fits him to a T.

He's an irridescent blue/red/green crowntail ... except for the top of his head. Other than this dark grey/brown splotch on his head, he seems extremely healthy. He's very active ... follows my finger, eats like a pig, has no issue with the filter strength and chills out quite contentedly in the tank. About the only thing he hasn't done yet, is build a bubble nest ...
Danibunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #4 
MachinaSoul

There was one that had the splotch effect on the top of him, around the start of the top fin, and the the rest of his top fin was going right back to the green/teal coloration.

I couldn't understand it, because he was a veil tail, and typically I only see them in red hues, orange hues, blue hues, red/blue mix, and sometimes blue/teal/green.

The Petco I tend to go to has been saying for two weeks they should be getting a fresh stock soon, so I'll see when that finally arrives if I can get some pictures to show what I'm talking about.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

We don't have petco in Canada but I got one of mine at the mall. He was pretty white with a black splotch on his anal fin... After healing up he turned into an orange dalmation.. But he still has a random black splotch that looks like it doesn't belong. Might be a genetic thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #6 
TheCheese909

Do you mean their coloration looks similar to the guys shown below?

The CT, I got him at WalMart and it's just his coloration.. There are lots of Bettas that I have seen that have a different colored heads, I don't know if that's what you're talking about or not.

The HM I got at PetCo about 2 months ago or so, he's all red except for a brownish patch on his forehead and mustache. It seems to me like it's just a part of him.
Attached Images

TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #7 
MachinaSoul

No, the color is similar, but it wasn't the head, which is why I was confused.

I've seen a lot of bettas that have face/head colors that blend into their body that is a different color.

These patches were very noticeable, and did not make sense based on where they were located on them. It was black with grey around the spot, then right into the color.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #8 
Bethydan

My pastel has dark grey splotches of color in places. Just poor breeding and genetics I think.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #9 
MachinaSoul

That's funny, because that is what I was thinking at first, that these were genetic obscurities of attempts to breed more interesting Veil Tails.