Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #1 
kmara

New to Bettas- Water Changing

Hello All!,
I am a huge animal lover, but fairly new to the Betta world. A coworker got me a Betta as an xmas present, so I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to give it a happy life. Right now he is in a small rectangular portable aquarium with a breathable lid. After reading many posts, I hear everyone saying it's good to get him a bigger tank. What should I get him? 2.5 gallons? Also, we changed the water tonight because it was getting stinky. I didn't know you were only supposed to change 50% and did a full water change. Will he be alright?? And if I get him a bigger tank tomorrow... how long should I wait before putting him in it.., I don't want to inflict too much stress in a shirt period of time.

Thank you all!
kmara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:37 PM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
Re: New to Bettas- Water Changing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmara
Hello All!,
I am a huge animal lover, but fairly new to the Betta world. A coworker got me a Betta as an xmas present, so I just want to make sure I am doing everything I can to give it a happy life. Right now he is in a small rectangular portable aquarium with a breathable lid. After reading many posts, I hear everyone saying it's good to get him a bigger tank. What should I get him? 2.5 gallons? Also, we changed the water tonight because it was getting stinky. I didn't know you were only supposed to change 50% and did a full water change. Will he be alright?? And if I get him a bigger tank tomorrow... how long should I wait before putting him in it.., I don't want to inflict too much stress in a shirt period of time.

Thank you all!
Welcome to Fishforum.com.

I will always recommend 5g for a betta. Water conditions are more stable in larger tanks, plenty of space to swim around and decorations to place in there for hiding places and comfort.

I'd recommend you buy Aquarium Pharmaceuticals liquid test kit so you can check your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH regularly. Dechlorinator should be added on new water before adding to the tank. Tapwater may contain chlorine and chloramine which are toxic to the fish. Your water may have contain high levels of ammonia hence the smell. Filters will be recommended here as well as heaters.

If your ammonia and nitrites rise to above 0.25, do a water change immediately. Change about half the water volume your container holds or until both ammonia and nitrites are put below 0.25 to zero. In the end, you want zero ammonia and nitrites and nitrates not exceeding 40ppm.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #3 
KikiNBatta

Hope I'm not butting in =?
I'm new here, and might as well be new to Bettas! I owned QUITE a few when I was younger - around 3 or 4 years ago. My sister got a fish, and then decided she likes mice better. She commented that she likes the betta 'only a little bit.' I said that if she didn't want it, I'd take it(!!), and she said, "You can have it," sort of indifferently. So I think I might have a betta! I really like bettas. I don't know why, I just do.
Anyways(!), I've got a 5 gallon tank, and I was reading that you said filters will be recommended, as well as heaters.
Is a filter/heater absolutely mandatory? As I said, I have a 5g, but don't really have the money right now to buy either one. If they are mandatory, I'll just wait and build up money, or keep it in the tank it's in right now.

Info: Tank is tall (not long), somewhat triangular. Has light on hood. I live in the US. Any help is appreciated!
KikiNBatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #4 
MegK

bettas can grow 3 inches, and with those long flowing tails its good to have space

kiki, if u can keep a constant temp of at least 75 and keep on top of ur water changes, u do not need a heater or filter, but they would be good to have after u get some money
MegK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #5 
crazy4fish

i had a betta in a goldfish bowl a while back. it didnt have heating or filteration but the betta still lived a long healthy life. as long as you change the water when needed and your house isnt freezing you should be just fine.
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #6 
KikiNBatta

Thank you, crazy4fish and Megk =)
I think that the temperature should be okay...if nothing else, I could wrap a heat sock (put rice in a sock and microwave it so that it gets warm) around it when it gets too cold - if I still don't have a heater, anyways.

The reason I was worried about not having a filter is because I was worried about Pearl (original name - not sure if I'll change it or not) not being able to get to the top of the water to get oxygen fast enough. The tank is much more deep than it is long.
How often should I change the water of the 5g? Should I change it partially or completely? And, one more question, how do you change partially?
Old 01-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #7 
Falina

25% twice a week would be a good maintanence regime. Smaller tanks like 5g need mroe water changes because they are prone to greater instabilities. Use a gravel vac to pump the water out, or scoop it out with a jug or something but I'd recommend a gravel vac so that you can remove dirt from the gravel and keep it disturbed.
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #8 
KikiNBatta

Ok, thanks for the info!!

I'm assuming that when you change partially you just take out 25%, take some tap water that is near the same temperature as the water before it, dechlorinate it, and pour it into the tank to refill it? Do you take your fish out for this, or no?

TIA :)
Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #9 
crazy4fish

you are right about taking out 25% and adding same temp tap water. when you do this you dont have to take out the fish. they should be just fine as long as you dont suck them up with the vacum. and about the filter. thats a good question sivce the tank is tall not long, but if you change the water 2-3 times a week you shouldnt need a filter. if you are still worried you can get one of those airiation systems (or one of the bubblers) i dont know their exact price but they might be chaeper than a whole filteration system.
just a suggestion though. (by the way i like the name pearl) :D hope i helped
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #10 
KikiNBatta

I don't have a vac, actually! Do you need one? I've never used one, but I've also never had a big tank before for longer than a day or two (long, sad story)

By changing 2 or 3 times a week, you mean changing 25%, right?
If you don't mind my asking, what is an airiation system/bubbler?
TIA!

I like the name Pearl, too =) Not sure if I'll keep it or not, though, since it was his 'old' name (sister gave him away)