Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #11 
crazy4fish

you dont need a vac but it makes cleaning the gravel a lot easier. if you want to change the water though you can just scoop it out into a large bowl or bucket.
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #12 
SST

depending on the size of your tank, you can use a turkey baster to clean the gravel.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #13 
KikiNBatta

Okay, this might shake things up a little (sorry!). Somehow I confused a 5g with a 1g! :facepalm: :groan:

Okay:
NEW info -
1g
triangular (two of the edges are flat, though - not pointy)
Tall, not long

I don't think I've ever used it before, but just in case, how do you sanitize a tank? I've heard that you can use a bleach/water solution. You have to air-dry it and sun-shock it, though (leave it out in the sun)....my question is, would it get enough sun to make sure all the bleach stuffs is out, since it's winter where I live? Does it matter the weather, or just the amount of sun? Should I even ATTEMPT using a bleach+water solution, or be on the safe side and just use hot water? I don't want any bacteria coming back alive, but I also don't want to bleach the poor betta to death!
KikiNBatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #14 
Oldman47

Please do not use bleach anywhere near your fish. One drop in the whole tank would be enough to kill most fish. If you have used the tank before but have left it dry until now, anything that was growing in the water probably did not survive the dry tank. It will be fine.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #15 
KikiNBatta

I was hoping to hear that! :relief: I was pretty uncomfortable with using bleach, but didn't know if it was the best thing to do or not!

Do tanks always require cycling? If not, then I'll move my fishie into his new home soon, but if so I'll try to make heads or fins out of the cycling thing! LMS!

Thanks for the help!!! I'm glad I found this place!
Old 01-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #16 
KikiNBatta

I'm planning on putting 'Pearl' in the 1g Sunday or Monday. Quick overview to make sure everything's alright -
Cylcing (not?) absolutely required - I figure since people get new tanks from the store and put the fish in it that night/soon afterwards, it probably wouldn't hurt 'Pearl' to be put into it without cycling.

Change water 1 or 2 times a week - around 25%-50% - keep the fish in while changing.

Okay without filter if water is kept up with
Okay without heater if kept warm

All the info is correct, right - before I put Mr. Fishie in it?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #17 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by KikiNBatta
I'm planning on putting 'Pearl' in the 1g Sunday or Monday. Quick overview to make sure everything's alright -
Cylcing (not?) absolutely required - I figure since people get new tanks from the store and put the fish in it that night/soon afterwards, it probably wouldn't hurt 'Pearl' to be put into it without cycling.

Change water 1 or 2 times a week - around 25%-50% - keep the fish in while changing.

Okay without filter if water is kept up with
Okay without heater if kept warm

All the info is correct, right - before I put Mr. Fishie in it?
In a stillwater tank, I don't think you could "cycle." (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I would suggest changing the tank 2-4 days a week in a stillwater 1gallon tank. Since there is nothing to take away the bacteria, I would do a 20% change every other day or so, untill you upgrade (if you plan to do so) to a larger tank.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #18 
KikiNBatta

Quote:
changing the tank 2-4 days a week in a stillwater 1gallon tank.....I would do a 20% change every other day or so.
I got a little confused, so I'm making sure I got that right - change 20% every other day or so, right?

Thanks for responding to my message :) I want to get 'Pearl' switched ASAP - he seems really happy (building an extended bubble nest, fins fuller than usual) and energetic (swimming around swiftly) lately; I'm sure he'll love the extra room in the 1g after his teensy tank :)
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #19 
KikiNBatta

I found a tank JUST LIKE mine on E-bay. It just doesn't have all the ornamental stuff - no gravel, bridge, plant, or the like. It has a light on the top, which I don't think was mentioned on the e-bay ad. But, anyways, that's my tank...except my lid is black:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Betta-Tank-With-...ayphotohosting
Old 01-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #20 
crazy4fish

20% every other day or so sounds good. glad to hear "pearl" is happy!
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote